Dancing or is it non-dancing

Brumas 16:33 10 Nov 06

At the old Locarno in Hull in the 60’s waiting for the slow dance, or the smooch as it was known, was the only chance us young bucks got to actually get up close to a girl and ‘hold’ her without getting our faces slapped – if you know what I mean? We could amble around the floor ‘cheek to cheek’ doing what we thought was a passable imitation of a waltz and , at the same time chatting for all we were worth – hoping to strike lucky and extend the relationship and possibly see the girl home.

What seems to go for dancing nowadays, observed I hasten to add from what one sees on the television, is “two people standing apart with expressionless features twisting and twitching like worshippers at the shrine of St. Vitus, patron saint of dancers” They do not seem to converse, I suspect the loudness of the ‘music’ prevents this and they do not seem to actually penetrate each others air space.

I know which I would prefer given a choice!

Snec 17:26 10 Nov 06

I agree, but then I've never got the hang of this dancing apart way of doing things.

I am not alone either, most white men just don't have the rhythm for it. Just see us all at a wedding, or any other bit of a do, and we all look as if we are doing an impression of a Rubik's Cube. It's pitiful, and certainly not dancing.

Brumas 17:26 10 Nov 06

I must admit that the MacDonalds advert showing the lad 'dancing' over to the pretty blond girl pretty much sums it up !

Altruist 18:00 10 Nov 06

I remember those times but you'll see some real dancing here: click here

A feel-good programme for a change.

Brumas 18:06 10 Nov 06

If only I had the stamina..... but yes, you are right, really enjoyable.

Bingalau 19:51 10 Nov 06

My wife loves all kinds of dancing, but even after being married for over 50 years all I could do was a poor attempt at a waltz. I have to be more or less shamed onto the dance floor. Then I had a go at Line Dancing and because it was sort of more military, I took to it like a duck to water. Now I go twice a week and although the women outnumber the men by about 20 to 3 I love it. What's more I am fitter and beginning to lose weight. So any of you non-dancers out there, give it a go. I even get up for other dances now when I am out with the boss. But of course I have a long way to go to catch up with her. She used to live opposite Swainsons Dance Hall (Liverpool) in the late 40's and early 50's, consequently she also lived in there every evening. But now I wish I had also been the way she was. Anybody know where they do jitterbug lessons for pensioners? ..Bingalau..

Kev.Ifty 20:01 10 Nov 06

"...chatting for all we were worth – hoping to strike lucky..."

click here

So anyone for 'Locking and Popping Classes?'

;-) Kev

dukeboxhero 20:52 10 Nov 06

best time was the moony at the end of the night , the last dance was always please stay by the crying shames

thospot 20:54 10 Nov 06

I had to smile at the first part of your post Brumas... You described it perfectly. We did exactly the same only about 10 years earlier..

mammak 22:09 10 Nov 06

Love that song my Daddy was a drummer in a band and used to play that for me and my pals.

Kev.Ifty 22:39 10 Nov 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac