Cyril Smith sex abuse allegations

Forum Editor 17:02 12 Apr 14

So, here we are again......

fourm member 18:00 12 Apr 14

It seems impossible to stop the pendulum from swinging.

Allegations about Smith have been around for a very long time but no-one seemed to be bothered about them. That's the swing in one direction.

Then, everyone gets excited about dealing with sexual abuse and you get things like the recent Evans trial where some of the 'victims' testified that they did not believe any offence had taken place and did not know why they had been called to give evidence. And that'a the opposite swing.

It is very difficult for the police and the CPS to determine what are serious accusations and what are not but there is a clear need to do a better job.

Forum Editor 18:38 12 Apr 14

I think that another big problem with these cases lies in being able to gather enough reliable evidence. Cyril Smith is dead, so he can't be interviewed. The people who aided and abetted him in covering things up are hardly likely to say 'yes, I deliberately concealed knowledge of a crime'. The victims themselves are going to talk, but often that evidence is purely verbal in nature, and its reliability can be shaky at times.

I wouldn't like to have to try to unravel it all.

Aitchbee 21:40 12 Apr 14

" ... The victims themselves are going to talk,..."

Not neccesarily. Most real victims of serious abuse will be so traumatized that their natural subconscious coping mechanism of 'shutting-it-out' would have kicked in, a long time ago, so's to let 'em forget anything about their aweful experiences.

Forum Editor 22:57 12 Apr 14

Aitchbee

"their natural subconscious coping mechanism of 'shutting-it-out' would have kicked in, a long time ago, so's to let 'em forget anything about their aweful experiences."

If that's what you think I suggest that you do a bit of research into the subject. Memories of sexual abuse stay with the victims all of their lives. They never forget their awful experiences.

Aitchbee 23:05 12 Apr 14

FE - it's a difficult [tricky] subject; that's why I said " Not neccessarily " at the beginning of my last response.

Aitchbee 00:32 13 Apr 14

... and FE, what exactly is the overlying question or response that you are anticipating or expecting from your ill-defined, SO HERE WE ARE AGAIN thread description? Spit it out.

mole1944 06:58 13 Apr 14

Sexually abused from 9-15 (I'm male and it was another older male who did it) you never never get over it i'm now 70 and still haunts me,i can trust no one and since my wife went into care i am almost a recluse apart from my cleaner on a Thursday i speak to no one all week,so don't tell me to forget it because I'll tell you all it never ever goes away.

Mr Mistoffelees 11:12 13 Apr 14

Aitchbee, I was abused by my mother.

I can never forget, I will never forget.

Forum Editor 11:27 13 Apr 14

Aitchbee

"... and FE, what exactly is the overlying question or response that you are anticipating or expecting from your ill-defined, SO HERE WE ARE AGAIN thread description? Spit it out."

Could you try not to be so rude, Aitchbee?

My comment 'so here we are again' isn't my thread description, that is perfectly plain, at the top of the thread. I would have thought it was blindingly obvious what 'here we are again' means, but as you didn't understand, I'll explain. It means that here we are, with yet another disclosure of sexual abuses of young people that were allegedly carried out by a famous public figure.

I'm not anticipating any response, I simply thought this was a subject that might interest a few people. It certainly interests me, but obviously you don't feel the same way.

Aitchbee 12:16 13 Apr 14

FE - I am sorry for appearing to be abrupt 'n' rude to you. Any discussions involving allegations of sex abuse involving famous public figures [or anybody for that matter] are always going to be controversial especially if the person who is alleged to have committed these very serious crimes is now dead. I will follow this thread because I am interested to hear what other forumites have to say on the subject. Although not wishing to go into any detail of the forumites who have said that they were abused as children, it would be interesting to find out if they had managed to resolve or address their abuse [which I do not doubt] so as to help 'em live with their bad memories. Did these victims talk to anybody about the abuse, at the time? Are they still be helped now, by councelling?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…