Cyclops cars

interzone55 20:58 30 Nov 10

Yesterday one of my headlights popped. I noticed this when arriving at a junction and saw my other headlight was on main beam.

Anyone know why one light switches to main beam when the other light is out, it's very annoying when a car is driving towards you with one light on main beam and the other on side light (as I'm sure everyone approaching me last night found out)

uk-wizard 21:08 30 Nov 10

Safety? Better than no light.

interzone55 21:27 30 Nov 10

"Better than no light."

there would still be light from the working headlight, my problem is the functioning headlight switches to main beam for some reason...

peter99co 21:39 30 Nov 10

Probably taking the circuit of least resistance.

A bad earth will cause this kind of problem. Why did the bulb pop?

interzone55 21:50 30 Nov 10

"Why did the bulb pop?"

Probably age, the car is 4 1/2 years old...

morddwyd 08:36 01 Dec 10

Systems are supposed to "fail safe" not fail to "full dazzle"

This sounds like a fault.

carver 08:48 01 Dec 10

What car do you have, wouldn't be a Fiat by any chance.

interzone55 08:58 01 Dec 10

Skoda Fabia

morddwyd
That may be so, but I've seen loads of cars with the same fault, including a Nissan I used to have, but I put that fault down to bad corrosion on the head-lamp plug...

Bingalau 09:23 01 Dec 10

I've often noticed that cars with only one headlight, that it seems twice as bright as other cars' headlights. Surely the drivers must know that they only have one light and are therefore driving illegally? I wonder do they ever think of checking reflections in shop windows, or even when they are close to the vehicle in front, can they not tell their lights are faulty?

interzone55 10:22 01 Dec 10

It's not easy to tell from inside the car, especially if there's a car close behind as their lights compensate for you lack of light.

As I said, I only noticed when I saw my reflection...

uk-wizard 11:12 01 Dec 10

Ee when I were a lad ---- cars had little plastic blocks on the top of the headlight lens to refract a little light back to the driver so that you can see that it is on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…