Customers - Who needs them?

VoG II 21:10 12 Aug 04

I've been helping out some colleagues with an Excel implementation of an environmental risk assessment model, for a well known DIY chain. Basically it is just a mega lookup problem, using macros. It all worked and, as a "freebie" I added a modeless dialog with their logo as a 2-second splash screen on opening the workbook. I thought this would personalise it for them.

My colleagues have just had comments back from the client:

1. Remove the logo at start-up.

You just cannot win, can you?

Falkyrn 21:31 12 Aug 04

I doubt if the person who dreamt up the phrase about the customer always being right ever had to deal with one.

One recent experience after delivering final product .. customer stated that website I delivered was what they had asked for but it was not what they wanted !

Big Elf 22:16 12 Aug 04

You made them wait a whole 2 seconds?

stalion 22:19 12 Aug 04

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
There is nowt so strange as folk

VoG II 22:20 12 Aug 04

Nope. Cleverly coded (head swells) so it shows as the workbook loads. Due acknowledgement to Chris the Ancient, although I did help him with that!

Forum Editor 23:36 12 Aug 04

the clients don't recognise added value when they see it. Probably because they intend to use the Excel solution in-house, and they already know who they are.

Chegs ® 03:41 13 Aug 04

You have every reason to be proud,your work was already held in high esteem,thats why they noticed the 2 second splashscreen,they were waiting for the chance to find faults.You would have been just the tiniest bit miffed if it had gone completely un-noticed. :-)

Of course this well known DIY chain may just about to be taken over by another company who will want to impose their own logo on the programme!

cga 17:04 13 Aug 04

Always give them something obvious to complain about - particularly when it's easy to change.

They don't feel they have had their money's worth unless they have a moan.

cga 17:10 13 Aug 04

Mind you, my own company is very strange. It has (sorry - had) a very simple and recogniseable symbol. Some bright spark in Marketing thought that printing on presentations this took up too much time and resources. As a result we have spent mega-zillions removing all trace of the symbol and now have our name printed in a special font (with solid colour background).

Anyone care to calculate the saving on presentation printing (clue: you need to understand negative numbers)

Dorsai 18:21 13 Aug 04

Vog, you know the splash screen only displays while the thing loads, but the bod's using it just see a screen for 2 seconds, and nothing happening. Does it also have a 'loading progress bar' to show what is actually happening?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…