Customer satifaction documents

m800afc 19:32 13 Jul 09

I am looking into getting new double glazing. I have invited several firms to offer a free quote. On reading the documents provided, I read that they all ask for a customer satisfaction document to be signed on completion.
What concerns me, is that problems may arise, within a short period of completion, and that this document may be used by the installers to avoid or delay correcting these problems.
Is there a legal way that the document may be signed that will protect me from this possible difficulty?
I was thinking along the line of "Without prejudice" or similar. Does this phrase have any legal weight whatsoever.
I am hoping that when I choose an installer this legal pedantry will not be required, but I just want to be on the safe side.

crosstrainer 19:36 13 Jul 09

If the document relates simply to the quote, then refuse to sign it. If they want your business (which of course they do) Then that should be fine...

Also, how can you judge a company prior to them doing any work?

Grey Goo 20:05 13 Jul 09

They should give a Guarantee for a specified time after installation.

birdface 20:35 13 Jul 09

They usually give you a 10 year guarantee then change names in between or go bust.You go with the big names you pay the big prices.

caccy 20:40 13 Jul 09

Insist on an insurance backed warranty. Then even if the company goes bust you are still covered.

OTT_Buzzard 20:48 13 Jul 09

If you're worried about i then write a comment to effect of 'correct at time of signing' or similar. I can't believe that any court would accept a customer satisfaction survey, signed on the day of installation, as being proof of the longevity of some windows.

Forum Editor 23:40 13 Jul 09

for a customer satisfaction document to be signed on completion."

There's nothing to stop them asking, and there's nothing to stop you refusing. They can't make it a condition of the contract, because that would be what's called 'an unfair term'.

If you don't want to sign then don't.

laurie53 10:08 14 Jul 09

"They usually give you a 10 year guarantee then change names in between"

The DG company I used did that, but when I rang the original number after nine years the actual installer had set up his own company on the same site and honoured the guarantee, in less than 24 hours I might add.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5