currys to sell solar panels

silverous 21:05 31 Jul 06

Will you buy one ? £9,000 and one is yours. They claim it will halve your energy bill and pay for itself in 7 years. Any takers?

ade.h 21:15 31 Jul 06

I would seriously consider it, yes. I have often wondered about the possibility, but never researched in detail, so perhaps I will now. If the figures add up...

skeletal 23:02 31 Jul 06

Hmm... Interesting. I understand that the average energy bill is about £1000 per year. To halve it gives £500; times by 7 gives £3500. A long way from £9000. My energy bill is about £1700 per year and I think this is definitely higher than average. Even so, the 7 years gives about £6000.

What technology does it use? £9000 seems a lot for a heat exchanger sort. If it is a solar panel, and you have gas or oil central heating, you would need to purchase additional heaters.

Unless I’m missing something here.

Sounds a bit dubious, but I won’t knock it until I know more about it.

Skeletal

SG Atlantis® 23:14 31 Jul 06

Mine is less than £800 per year.

Can't see how it will cut it in half, even then it'll take me 22.5 yrs to recoup the cost at current rates.

ade.h 23:22 31 Jul 06

click here Something a bit more modest, but a lot more affordable.

Forum Editor 23:27 31 Jul 06

Then (presumably) you have to have it installed, connected to your hot water/central heating system, or whatever. That's going to bump up the cost even further.

I haven't seen the Currys ad, but I'll be surprised if they claim it WILL halve your energy bill and pay for itself in 7 years. I think it more likely that they say it COULD do those things, and they'll probably add a caveat "based on an average fuel bill of £X etc. etc." which will be in small print somewhere.

If that sort of saving was applicable to the average household I venture to suggest that we would be seeing these things on every roof - but we don't. There must be a reason.

silverous 06:48 01 Aug 06

It wasn't an ad and I wasn't making it up... It was in the evening standard yesterday evening.

I doubt we'd see these things on every roof. Not everyone has 9k to throw at this for what is a relatively long term investment. I'm sure there are things many households could do to save energy, it doesn't mean they all do them. I think it takes someone like DSG to make the thing 'popular'.

Perhaps 9k is the initial cost and the energy savings are an average based on that cost being lowered as they sell more units. Let's see as the details come out.

There's more detail (or less lack of clarity!) in today's press. 9k to buy and install for 3 bed house. Energy savings trust can/will/may offer 4k grant towards that. The newspaper admits curry's estimates are optimistic and halving energy bills is a 'potential'.

The difference between when a headline gets rushed to press and when the papers get chance to catch up on the details ;)

oresome 08:51 01 Aug 06

One of the problems with a lot of these things is the complexity, meaning an expensive on-going maintenance cost.

I understand from other forums that the new high efficiency gas boilers break down twice as often as the older simpler type, negating any savings from there higher efficiency.

I do agree it needs a household name to market these things and make them popular, but I'm not sure about it being Curry's.

An acid test for any such device is that the money spent saves more than it would earn left in the bank as well as recovering the capital cost.

£9000 will produce £450 in a high interest bank account, which is half my energy costs.

silverous 08:57 01 Aug 06

Good points oresome.

wee eddie 10:17 01 Aug 06

you accidentally hit the nail on the head!

"An acid test for any such device"

The problem with the Condensing boiler is that the condensate is acidic. If you have a system that is fired up and operating most of the day, this acidic condensate is vented to the air. However, if you usage is low or occasional, say baths in the morning and evening, a little light washing-up and some central heating. Every time the boiler cuts in, the ducting is cool and the fumes condense leaving an acidic residue which rots the ducting quite swiftly.

Also I seem to remember that I read a report somewhere that Condensing Boilers do not start saving power until they have been running continuously for an hour or more.

justme 20:06 01 Aug 06

I dread to think just how much Curry's will charge for an extended warranty on the solar panel system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…