The Current Poll

pj123 17:12 10 Jun 07

The main question being:

Which is your media player of choice?

There are 7 options but not one that allows you to enter "your media player of choice".

Yes, I know other postings have said "If you don't like the options in the poll, don't do it".

I normally don't respond to the polls but this one appears to be asking a specific question.

An option of "Other" or "None of the above" may elicit more respondents and therefore provide better statistics.

In the case of this poll my media player of choice would be Real Alternative.

Devil Fish 17:48 10 Jun 07

I think you will find that real alternative is a codec not a standalone player

pj123 18:05 10 Jun 07

Devil Fish, rubbish.

Real Alternative is (as its name implies, an alternative to Real Player).

Real Player is a System hog and tries to take over your PC.

Forum Editor 18:19 10 Jun 07

Steady on.

I'm afraid Devil Fish is right, Real Alternative is a codec pack, designed to play RealPlayer files on a Windows machine, without the need to install RealPlayer.

Stuartli 21:49 10 Jun 07

Nothing to be afraid of, FE...:-)

interzone55 09:24 11 Jun 07

I'd go with Jet Audio (click here) which isn't an option on the poll, it's reasonably light weight and it plays pretty much anything.

Along with real alternative, an essential download is Quick Time Alternative, whilst this is also a codec and not a real media player, it saves downloading the dreadful system hog Quick Time

wolfie3000 09:56 11 Jun 07

I use the K-lite codec pack with Media player classic,

Its an essential download.

Iv yet to find something it wont play.

pj123 13:43 11 Jun 07

Apologies, Devil Fish and FE. I didn't know that. I assumed it was a program because of the recommendations on the Forum as a substitute.

The comment "I think you will find that real alternative is a codec not a standalone player" from Devil Fish and the response from FE: "I'm afraid Devil Fish is right, Real Alternative is a codec pack, designed to play RealPlayer files on a Windows machine, without the need to install RealPlayer" seem to be a contradiction.

If you don't need to install RealPlayer then Real Alternative must be a "standalone" surely?

Anyway, sorry all, that wasn't the point of the thread, and there is a new poll now.

Will close this one down.

interzone55 13:46 11 Jun 07

To clear things up a little, if you use Real Alternative it installs the necessary codec to allow the playback of Real Media files. It then alters the registry to force Real Media files to playback using Media Player Classic, which if memory serves used to be called Windows Media Player 6.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5