The current forum poll responses

Forum Editor 20:51 10 May 08

interest me. I can clearly remember having a forum discussion about six years ago - in those far off days when it seemed as if there were just a few of us, having cosy debates late into the night.

On that occasion we were talking about the 'new' technology of digital photography, and I can recall how I vigorously defended the future of film - I couldn't see how digital cameras could ever reach a degree of sophistication and image quality that would rival film.

Now my film cameras have been confined to a cupboard, and I doubt that I'll ever use them again - I have a digital SLR that produces stunning image quality, and I can cheerfully click away, secure in the knowledge that the memory card will hold hundreds of images. I'm happy to eat my words about film - it's a dead duck as far as I'm concerned. A revolution has happened in this forum's lifetime, and I note that currently only 3% of those of you who have responded think that you'll be sticking to film.

belfman 20:58 10 May 08

I am currently seeking permission from the boss to buy another camera - I want a Digital SLR. I've never owned a film camera so wouldn't know anything about them but so far I've been spending more and more dosh on digital cameras and fine my latest P&S's (even the ones with manual controls) limited and boring.

peg 21:02 10 May 08

film v digital no contest I cant think of anything you could do with film that you cant do with digital but theres lots you can do with digital that you cant do with film.

georgemac © 21:15 10 May 08

I discarded my film camera some years ago. I started with a film very basic SLR Canon T50 with a standard 50 mm lens, then changed this for a compact point and shoot film camera.

This was passed on to my mother, when I bought a 2 MP Fuji point and shoot digital which I loved.

This was then replaced by a digital bridge camera, the Sony DSC-H1 5 MP with a 12 x optical zoom which I really loved - only sometimes downside is you could not fit it in your pocket.

Last year I bought a compact Sony DSC-W35 which fits in my pocket, 7 MP, and just over £110, amazing value and a great camera, and have also got a Sony underwater housing for this one.

The DSC-H1 has now recently been replaced with a full digital DSLR, a Canon 400D which I am slowly learning to get to grips with. I have the 17-55 zoom, and the 55-200 zoom and the f1.8 50 mm lens. I imagine eventually I will start to buy some L glass for this camera - I have already learned the lenses will stay with you long after you have changed DSLR.

I will keep my compact Sony for my pocket and underwater, and even more amazingly my phone has a 5 MP camera and a 2 Gbyte memory card.

The digital world is truly amazing.

The best money I have spent though, is £13 on a book, Understanding Exposure click here wish I had bought this book some years ago.

My mother has also now moved away from film, she is 70 and now has a digital camera.

georgemac © 21:17 10 May 08

multiple exposure - not too easy on digital

peg 21:28 10 May 08

multiple exposure meaning one image on top of another ? I bet you could do it in Photoshop or similar software. once you have a image uploaded to a pc or even some hi spec printers the possibility's are mind boggling. "the camera never lies" it dose now.

wolfie3000 21:34 10 May 08

Film cameras are dead, digital cameras offer alot more, capacity, image quality and alot more.

You can also edit the photos in programs like photoshop to achieve stunning results plus you can discard any photos that you dont like without wasting film.

plus theres no messing about getting film processed.

anskyber 21:34 10 May 08

I was deeply entrenched in colour transparencies and the unequalled performance of an SLR.

I then, as a side issue bought a digital camera. The SLR lasted another 4 months and I sold both for what is known as a "prosumer" digital camera. Light but with a good lens and digital imager and of course a sensible zoom range.

The pictures are stunning and the cost is peanuts for massive storage potential.

€dstowe 22:04 10 May 08

We use 120 size roll film in Hasselblads and, fairly often, 5 x 4 Ektachrome sheet film in a Linhof and a Tachihara. We also have Nikon 35mms and a variety of digital cameras.

Occasionally we hire 10 x8 cameras for extremely large, very high quality poster work but not many companies like to pay the fees charged for that.

For my own use, I still prefer 35mm wet process film.

WhiteTruckMan 22:39 10 May 08

one of these

click here

It produced pretty fair pictures, but took some practice to use as you had to have a firm but steady grip when pulling the exposed film from the camera. you had to be firm because you were pulling the film between two rollers that burst a pack of developing chemicals and then spread it evenly over the film. so you had a lurch as the chemical pod burst, then you needed a steady pull to distribute the chemicals evenly.

And for cold days there was a pair of hinged aluminium plates you slid out of the rear cover of the camera and stuck up your jumper (!) in your armpit to warm up-Brrr-then put the freshly pulled film into it because it developed better and faster when warm rather than cold.

WTM

exdragon 22:44 10 May 08

You can do these with the Nikon D300 - you can get some great 'tide coming in (or going out)' using a slow shutter speed...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now