Curiousity about anti virus updates

Totally-braindead 20:29 12 Oct 06

I'm wondering if someone who is in the know could actually answer this.
It has been said in another thread that AVG is not as up to date in the virus definitions department as the likes of Norton.
Now I can't argue the point but my query is this. As far as I can recall Norton updates were one day a week, Friday I think it was, whereas AVG has updates almost every day sometimes more than once a day.
Now the question is, if AVG updates more often then the likes of Norton I would have thought it was more up to date.

Now I'm not seeking another AVG versus Norton arguement as to be honest with you I'm getting rather sick of it. I just wanted to know about the virus definitions and the frequency of updates.

Anyone actually know?

Jak_1 20:37 12 Oct 06

When I had Norton, some years ago now, the updates were as you say weekly. I moved over to the free AVG developed by Steve Gibson a leading authority on Internet Security. Since moving I have had no problems with Viruses or Trojans. So I guess that AVG is as good as any of the 'paid for' AV programs.

Totally-braindead 20:48 12 Oct 06

Interesting Jak_1 and thanks for that. I personally use AVG and its kept my system safe and I am happy with it but would really like to know about this.

Anyone?

DieSse 21:11 12 Oct 06

*Now the question is, if AVG updates more often then the likes of Norton I would have thought it was more up to date.*

Yes, that's entirely possible as far as virus definitions are concerned.

Other types of update, to the program itself for example, is a more complex question.

Totally-braindead 21:19 12 Oct 06

Yes DieSse thats what I was thinking and I was hoping someone would actually know.
I appreciate that other parts may well be different but I was just hoping for an answer regards the virus definitions.

DieSse 21:21 12 Oct 06

AVG originated in Czechoslovakia click here

where, interestingly, NOD32 also originated - and around the same times.

DieSse 21:24 12 Oct 06

*I was hoping someone would actually know.*

The only way of actually knowing is to examine the lists of new virus patterns from each company over a period of time, and exactly when they were issued. More frequent updates infers more up-to-datedness - but doesn't prove it.

Jak_1 21:38 12 Oct 06

DieSse

I was going on info given to me.

RickyC :-) 21:47 12 Oct 06

I could have asked AVG themselves.

I had an interesting meeting with AVG at PC Advisor towers earlier today (more on that later), but in the meantime I will forward this thread to their UK Managing Director and ask the question on your behalf.

kind regards

Richard
CD Editor

Totally-braindead 21:47 12 Oct 06

Yes thats a very good point DieSse that would be the only way of proving/disproving it wouldn't it.
Never mind it just got my curiousity going, I couldn't argue that particular point as I didn't know if the person who said Norton etc was more up to date than the likes of AVG was right or not.

Totally-braindead 21:49 12 Oct 06

Well, well. Thank you for that Cd Editor. You can also pass on that I've used AVG for a few years now and its not failed me, I'm very happy with it as are many on this Forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now