Curfew by consent seems to be working

TopCat® 20:13 08 Aug 08

It is good to hear that after two weeks in force Operation Goodnight in Redruth, west Cornwall is progressing nicely - click here The police tried a different approach and built a consensus with local residents of the Close Hill estate, which previously had a reputation for vandalism, graffiti and under age drinking.

I hope this unusual move will turn out to be a lasting success, and I applaud the police for their initiative and the Redruth residents for allowing it to happen. However, even with good intentions all round, I think it will be very difficult to adopt on some notorious estates in our towns and cities, though I hope I will be proved wrong on this with the passage of time. TC.

Cymro. 12:19 09 Aug 08

We have to try something as things are getting out of hand on some of these estates. I don`t know if this has a part to play in the answer and I dare say that it has been criticised, but as I said we have to try something.

Chegs ®™ 03:12 10 Aug 08

For her the curfew is unfair.

"You're punishing the majority of children who behave for the crimes of a few...and potentially those causing the trouble aren't even under 16," she said.

"If a few adults broke the law, you wouldn't impose a curfew on every adult in the community."

I agree with her,but as has been shown(& I also said on a previous thread about this curfew)it was never intended as a permanent curfew,just as a means to enable the police to restore order which is whats happened.Therefore,it worked and I would be happy for something similar to be instigated in this area.

Forum Editor 09:13 10 Aug 08

on specific sections of society, whether they are voluntarily observed or otherwise, there's something badly wrong.

This is the 21st century, and if the only way we can maintain law and order in our communities is by making young people stay at home after nine o'clock at night we should be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves. No doubt the police officers who came up with this idea are congratulating themselves on the 'success'of their scheme, but I think they should consider themselves a disgrace for having to depend on something as extreme as a curfew.

lotvic 09:52 10 Aug 08

If the parents have not taught their children how to behave when out on their own then it seems sensible to me that society pressures (in this case the police force that we employ to maintain law and order) take steps to restore order.

It is the parents of the children that do not behave that should be ashamed.

Cymro. 10:19 10 Aug 08

I think that the parents are more to blame for the situation than anyone. Why on Earth should young children be out unsupervised at all hours of the night? What is there for them to do but get up to mischief?

The police are run off their feet trying to sort out these young offenders and the general public who live in trouble hot spots are very often at their wits end trying to live with it.

Obviously something must be done about it and the police in this case are at least trying. Their tactics are extreme and we may not like them but they are trying to sort out society's problems without much help from the public. The disgrace is not on the police but on society for letting things get so bad.

spuds 11:06 10 Aug 08

Personally I cannot see how this 'voluntary curfew' can be legal. Its condemning law abiding youngsters for the wrongs being committed by the law breakers, who no doubt are readily known to the law enforcement agencies. These are the people who should be targeted, and I note that one fathers was against the proposal, but as since changed his mind, because his son is more at home, instead of being bailed out from the police station.

I also note that the scheme seems to fall on the PCSO as observers and perhaps guardians of the scheme.A police officer being available as a last resort, after the praises have been given!.

Most towns and villages can have 'curfew areas', all it needs is the posted declaration and signature of a police inspector or above, and the conditions and times of enforcement.

About 2 miles from where I live is a very nice and well kept park with daily maintenance. There are certain restrictions or curfews for evening use, but this hasn't prevented the area from being plagued at night with drinkers and drug takers. Apparently police resources are limited to administer the restrictions, and the PCSO's feel that nighttime observations and administration could prove 'very harmful' to them.

walesrob 11:40 10 Aug 08

spuds

"Personally I cannot see how this 'voluntary curfew' can be legal."

And this is part of the problem - it's all about being "legal" and upholding "human rights" before anything and anybody else.

My wife is from Philippines, and over there, people have absolute respect for parents, grandparents and law & order, even though its a much poorer country than the UK. Why can't an advanced country like the UK manage something like this - we have plenty of everything, yet, we are still not happy. I've seen families in Philippines living in a wooden hut by the roadside, yet they are probably the most happiest people you will ever meet.

spuds 12:27 10 Aug 08

I agree about the people living in roadside huts, possibly being the happiest people you will ever meet, possibly due to family or religious commitments. I have met and witnessed that many times, in travelling and work-occupation experiences around the world. But I have also seen people being repressed by undertaking things that perhaps you, I and everyone else in a civilised community would take as a normal days activities. Voluntary curfews can become permanent curfews, with a rule of violence or shoot to kill policy, if the curfews are not obeyed, in certain countries, and that is not only by law enforcement, but by local paid/unpaid vigilante groups.

Forum Editor 12:43 10 Aug 08

Happiness is a relative thing - if everyone else lives in a wooden hut by the roadside you can be happy, but if most people live in comfortable houses with cars and broadband access, and you're still in the wooden hut, happiness might begin to recede.

Respect for others, and for community property isn't lacking because we live in an affluent society, it's absent because for lots of young people it isn't a core value, instilled in them by their parents. Their parents probably don't have the respect to instill, because they didn't get it from their parents. Their children won't pass it on, and so the culture of 'me first, I'm the one that really matters, and I couldn't care less about others' is perpetuated.

We didn't always live in such a society, the change has happened gradually, and if we want to change again that will have to happen gradually, too. Cultural changes that involve self-discipline are always the hardest to bring about, and to my way of thinking the way to bring them about isn't to start by introducing curfews.

lotvic 15:49 10 Aug 08

F.E. I disagree.
I think that the 'temporary voluntary curfew' that is being discussed here is just the way to go.
All of the youngsters are being taught that anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated.
The troublemakers are being made to go home and play in their own gardens and homes where their parents have to then take responsiblity for them.

This is just a stage further up from the toddlers 'naughty step' and older children being denied their treats, toys, computers, tv etc.

Also a lot of responsible parents already use the 'you're grounded for the next week' tactic to control adolescents behaviour.

I well remember when I was in Junior School that if any of us misbehaved the whole class was kept in during playtime not just the ones that were naughty. This created peer pressure to behave with the 'good' children telling the others off for being naughty.

F.E. What course of action do you see as being effective instead of this 'temporary voluntary curfew' that is being tried?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…