Cuban Crisis

flycatcher1 10:07 16 Oct 12

Fifty years ago it looked possible that WW3 was about to happen.

Together with others I sat in the back of a Vulcan considering Life after Death. My wife took my two daughters to school and worried.

I heard on the radio today that, as a result of the crisis, the two sides had their heads banged together and realised the importance of NOT going to war. There would have been no winners only losers. Even the US gave ground in removing the Missiles from Turkey.

On a service subject I believe that there are a few Ex-Royal Marines on this Forum. May I say that, at this time, I am right behind them. In cases of war this is the best place to be.

woodchip 13:10 16 Oct 12

Don't they you ever learn, there are no winner's in War. only looses.

woodchip 13:11 16 Oct 12

ps They have not learned much from Two World Wars. Only the Suffering they cause

morddwyd 20:32 16 Oct 12

Even now I cannot read or hear about it without recalling that uncertain feeling of apprehension we all had, knowing that flycatcher1, and others, were up there, waiting.

kad60 07:25 17 Oct 12

Woodchip,

there are winners in war...arms manufacturers and "suffering" is part of the collateral damage they expect, they have learned to accept it not understand it.

Recently watched a film DVD called,FAIL SAFE, depicting how a cynic would fight the war and how a conscientious President makes a terrible decision to forestall one and all because of a computer glitch.

These days you don't need a finger on the button you just have a computer error.

johndrew 15:31 17 Oct 12

I remember the period very well.

At the time it occurred I was completing my apprenticeship at RAF Halton. Because we were, to all intents and purposes, fully trained, we were given our postings and advised of our life expectancy in the event the 'button' was pressed - about 20 minutes. Not a good way to celebrate obtaining release into the RAF proper!!

flycatcher1 18:40 17 Oct 12

johndrew One of the worst decisions the RAF ever made was to stop the Halton Apprentice scheme. In my time the Brats were the Ground Rock of the Technical Organisation in the Service and many progressed to the highest levels in other Branches.

A Commissioned Brat was in the Gents Cloakroom and left without washing his hands. A Cranwell trained Officer asked why he failed to do so. The Brat replied that at Halton they were taught not to p**s on their fingers.

Forum Editor 18:43 17 Oct 12

My father was a Halton boy. He spoke of it with pride.

morddwyd 19:34 17 Oct 12

Funny story for brats.

I left there in 1956.

Was back there in 1976 as a Chf Tech instructor.

Day one I'm walking across Main Point on my way to lunch when a DI started roaring from somewhere behind me..

I instinctively straightened up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…