Cryptic crossword anyone?

Pidder 10:33 29 Nov 06

Yesterday's cryptic crossword in our local paper had me stumped with one clue. "The Bees have 22 of them on the field!" The answer today was "knees". I've heard of "bees knees" but don't see the connection with the clue. Anyone?

Kate B 10:41 29 Nov 06

Presumably it's referring to the number of knees in a football team?

tommy vercetti 10:44 29 Nov 06

Yeah Kate is right - "The Bees" is the nickname for Brentford Football Club

Pidder 10:47 29 Nov 06

Thanks both, I didn't know about Brentford FC. You need to have a very wide fount of knowledge for these cryptic clues.

Kate B 10:52 29 Nov 06

I didn't know about Brentford, either. The combined knowledge of PCA members is a pretty awe-inspiring force.

anchor 12:33 29 Nov 06

I have no interest whatsoever in Football, but do know some of the nicknames. Gunners for Arsenal, Hammers for West Ham, Hatters for Luton, (they used to make straw hats in Luton).

I also know that The Bees are Brentford, only because I used to work for a company less than half a mile from their ground.

Pidder: My wife and I are crossword fans too, and clues referring to football clubs often come up.

tommy vercetti 15:56 29 Nov 06

For a full list of football club nicknames,

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:58 29 Nov 06

'You need to have a very wide fount of knowledge for these cryptic clues'...that's the point of cryptic clues. ;-))))))

G

Pidder 18:28 29 Nov 06

I take your point, always thought the word "cryptic" merely implied "coded", obviously a wider meaning.

anchor 11:09 30 Nov 06

Pidder: Chambers dictionary definition:

"cryptic" adj 1 puzzling, mysterious, obscure or enigmatic. 2 secret or hidden. 3 said of a crossword puzzle: with clues in the form of riddles, puns, anagrams, etc, rather than synonyms. cryptically adverb.

ETYMOLOGY: 17c: from Greek kryptikos, from kryptein to hide.

I hope that you enjoy your puzzles as much as we do. We subscribe to both the Times & Telegraph on-line crosswords. Our daily challenge!.

Pidder 18:53 30 Nov 06

Thanks for yours. I wouldn't dare to emulate Morse! Our local paper's puzzle is enough for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…