Crt versus flat panels - still no contest?

TOPCAT® 17:14 26 Oct 05

You know, reading this I tend to agree with most of the points expressed by this guy at click here and, just like him, have diligently stuck with my trustworthy 17ins Iiyama crt monitor. I'm now getting a new computer and also decided to try a top quality 19ins flat panel - a Samsung SM940B in fact. I was a little apprehensive at first but this monitor is absolutely marvellous from every aspect. I guess I am now a convert to flat panels!

The deciding factors for me was the gained desk space, much less unit weight, lower power consumption and a reasonable price. So, as flat panels become even better and more affordable I think the days of the crt monitor are certainly numbered, though not anytime soon. This PC will become a standby unit for the grandchildren and my old crt will continue to serve from time to time. I'd hate to lose such a faithful friend! :o) TC.

freaky 18:21 26 Oct 05

Ditto, could not agree more with you. I have two Iiyama TFT's in my office, one is a 17" the other a 19". They are so convenient space wise, and the performance is excellent.

Now that you are converted, suggest (if you use Windows XP) that you download from Microsoft 'Clear Type'. This is an utility that improves the appearance of text on TFT Monitors. You tailor it to suit your liking.

TOPCAT® 18:29 26 Oct 05

Can you post a link for this please and can it increase the desktop icon text size? TC.

Pidder 18:34 26 Oct 05

Thought ClearType was already in XP. Am I wrong?

Mr Mistoffelees 18:40 26 Oct 05

Clear type is indeed already included with Windows XP. What Freaky is referring to is the Clear type tuning utility which allows you tailor it to your own monitor and what looks best to you. You can find it here click here

Pidder 18:57 26 Oct 05

Thanks, however don't have any problems with my present setting.

De Marcus™ 18:58 26 Oct 05

I've never been a fan of MS ClearType, it seems to have the opposite effect on my tft for some reason

interzone55 20:23 26 Oct 05

I'm afraid the days of CRT's are definately numbered, as almost all the CRT factories have either closed or are about to close.

I know of no PC manufacturer that still offers a CRT as standard (except for the Apple eMac, which is hardly mainstream anyway).

They only seem to be used in graphics work where true colour and high relsolutions are a necessity.

TOPCAT® 23:37 26 Oct 05

As I understand it some dedicated gamers much prefer a good size crt because they can set it to a high resolution. This allows their expensive graphics card to run to its full potential and they are convinced the picture quality is superior to a tft. Only by buying a 20ins or more tft can you achieve 1600x1200 resolution and currently these are still quite expensive.

It is rumoured that panel makers are working to bring this resolution to the 19ins tfts and if the breakthrough comes, we will really see tft sales take off. This advancement will no doubt accelerate the demise of good, old crt. TC.

Diemmess 10:10 27 Oct 05

The colour CRT today is a very highly developed piece of kit. Not so many years ago "the tube" was always first to fail on the home TV, often within a year or two. Nowadays the "tube" outlasts the whole set.

When a few more years development has been worked into the TFT, the CRT will become a curiosity remembered affectionately by old people, but no more likely to make a come-back than steam engines for industrial power.

dth 11:53 27 Oct 05

Is it just me?

I am still using a CRT monitor - 17" one and have no problems with it. Am keen to replace it with a TFT but whenever I look in (say) P C World type shops there is usually a row with 20 different TFTs but the pictures on them always look a bit poor - in comparispn to my CRT. Or is it just a case that the shop TFTs haven't been configured correctly?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…