Cremation, burial, black bin bag or what?

Cymro. 14:13 07 Feb 09

As me wife has spent the morning at a funeral it has set me thinking as to what she and I are to do as regards instruction about if we are to be buried or cremated. As we are both over 60 years of age I think it is a subject that we should seriously talk about and hopefully come to some sort of decision.

If it was all left to me alone and there was no one else to consider I would opt for leaving my body to medical research. But obviously things are very unlikely to work out like that. We have children to consider and anyway my wife would never let my body go for medical research.

So how would you like your body to be disposed of after your death? I am rather of the opinion that we should just consider the feelings of those that are the nearest and dearest to us. So as in my case there is no way of persuading them to give my body to medical research I will just end up with a conventional burial or cremation.

Marko797 14:17 07 Feb 09

then ashes spread on (or close to) the Tee of my favourite hole at the golf course, together with the obligatory, commemorative, bench with brass plate! That'd do for me.

Cymro. 14:19 07 Feb 09

Yes I also like the idea of a commemorative bench. Something to remember us by, and something useful for those that are left behind.

Marko797 14:22 07 Feb 09

we go out walking quite a bit, and in some places u'll find a nice bench with brass plate in memory of someone who loved that particular spot. Last one (last week) was somewhere along Grantham Canal, with a nice view.

Cymro. 14:24 07 Feb 09

As I live on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park, they would be spoilt for choice as to a nice place to have a commemorative bench.

Marko797 14:26 07 Feb 09

sounds nice...like u say, spoilt for choice there. Choose your top three spots, then whittle it down to your favourite.

Forum Editor 15:09 07 Feb 09

that I would like my body to be cremated (with a minimum of fuss and expense) and my ashes scattered into the sea at low tide on Southwold beach; a place where I have spent some of the most relaxed days of my life.

Chris the Ancient 15:10 07 Feb 09

A question that I am sure many of us have pondered.

When my time comes, I won't be in a position to worry about it. But... even though I won't know about it, I feel that burial in a cemetery is not for me - decaying under 6' of earth, being forgotten about after a few years, weeds covering everything and monopolising (unnecessarily) a portion of the Earth's surface.

My feelings for demise are... take any bits that might help someone (even if those bits a v-e-r-y old), then cremate me and scatter the remnants in the crem's garden of rest . BUT!!!!... make sure I'm dead first!

I won't know about it, within a short time there will be nobody else who will know about it; so let's just leave things tidy. (And there won't be bits for "Time Team" to worry and puzzle about in a few decades time ;-)) )

CtA

wee eddie 15:27 07 Feb 09

Aldeburgh might be a little higher on my list, but I live in Scotland now and my ideas of pleasure have changed.

I am to be Cremated and laid, without ceremony, beneath the Ice Pad of the local Curling Rink.

I needed to put it in my Will and also to have a Letter from the Board of the Curling Rink.

Cymro. 15:30 07 Feb 09

Best post so far for originality I think.

€dstowe 15:35 07 Feb 09

I don't care what happens to my body provided there is no big fuss made over my departure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…