Credit and Debit card charges

octal 10:01 28 Sep 10

It looks like local councils are jumping on the band wagon, I think I'll start paying cash, it will probably cost them more to process cash than using the card, that will be my little protest.

click here

Councils seemed apt at winding people up.
Build it into the cost of the service and stop peeing people off.

johndrew 10:15 28 Sep 10

Given that Debit cards are much the same as using a cheque or cash, it seems a bit cheeky charging for transactions made on them. I can understand Credit cards as there are charges made by the card company.

octal 10:34 28 Sep 10

While I agree with DD there are a lot of companies that are now charging for you to do that at the going interest rate as they class it as a lone. I've cancelled a lot of my DD's for that reason. I wonder how long it will take for them to jump on that bandwagon as well?

octal 10:35 28 Sep 10

Lone=loan of course.

Bingalau 11:04 28 Sep 10

I've never been charged for using my debit card. I have a credit card somewhere but have never used it.

interzone55 12:24 28 Sep 10

The retailer is still charged for debit card transactions, but unlike credit cards there is a flat fee for the transaction.

For credit cards the fee is between 1 & 3%, for debit cards it's usually between 50p & £1. The fee varies depending on the size of the retailer & therefore number of transactions per day.

jakimo 13:00 28 Sep 10

I can confirm alan14's post,I offered to pay by debit card in the local TV shop just this week,but it was refused, the shopkeeper explained that he was charged on both credit\debit transactions

HWJC 15:53 28 Sep 10

alan14: "For credit cards the fee is between 1 & 3%, for debit cards it's usually between 50p & £1. The fee varies depending on the size of the retailer & therefore number of transactions per day."

On £100k annual card turnover we get charged 1.6% on CC and 18p on debit cards. Add stationery costs but allow for far higher turnover (and overheads), it should be very little indeed for debit cards - until you multiply it up.

interzone55 16:53 28 Sep 10

We get charged 50p per debit card transaction on £120m total turnover, mind you a tiny proportion of that £120m is debit card payments.

I think we need to change banks...

peter99co 17:44 28 Sep 10

Pay by cheque? The banks are getting rid of cheques soon. We can't win.

ams4127 20:56 28 Sep 10

When I turned 65 a few years ago the first thing I did was to get rid of any credit and debit cards I had. I now have just one pre pay card I use for ordering stuff over the 'net. I load it with just the right amount of money for the purchase, so if it becomes compromised, I'll lose nothing.

Everywhere else I pay cash. I have found it to be a most pleasant experience walking into Currys, say, and trying to get a discount for paying cash. It almost always works, and if it doesn't then just go elsewhere.

I get to walk a lot more too!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…