Credit Card transactions overseas

Teaboy 10:17 15 Nov 04

According to Chan.4 Teletex today. The high Court has ruled that Sec.75 Consumer Credit Act 1974 only applies to U.K transactions, and does not generally apply to overseas purchases.

Buchan 35 22:52 16 Nov 04

TEABOY,
the only thing I know about using a credit card overseas is that after using it 3 times their security people are phoning you. I also understand that if you phone them before you go overseas and tell them you`ll be using the card they won`t phone. Saves them a few pence on phone calls

Dorsai 17:54 18 Nov 04

Many years ago (15-20?), and when i was still living at home with my father, he went on holiday to Japan for a month.

He had only been gone for a few days when his credit card company phoned up, saying they had noticed an unusual change in his card usage- it was now all in the Far East, an area where stolen card details frequently got used. I was able to confirm that he actually was IN the Far East, and so this was not unexpected.

It was nice to see that they were paying attention to possible fraud, and checking up on it.

Buchan 35 22:44 18 Nov 04

Teaboy,
what is Sec 75 Consumer credit act 1974 please?

Valvegrid 22:49 18 Nov 04
  Teaboy 16:42 19 Nov 04

Valvegrid has answered your query very well indeed. The EU has been trying for years to get rid of Sec 75 protection for us Brits. The Euros apparently don't have it! The courts here must agree with them. It could be on the way out.

Buchan 35 20:45 19 Nov 04

Ouch! they know where to hurt don`t they

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…