Credit card fraud

carver 07:39 22 Jul 09

A few weeks ago read this click here

and thought that I was careful and would notice any thing out of place on a card machine, wrong.

Banks informed me that my credit card is just one out of many that have been cloned and are now being used, luckily it was only used for 1 item that I wouldn't use a credit card for, a car.

My bank will not tell me how it's been cloned, or when, only that they have issued a new card and the old one is now no longer any use.

I didn't realise until this week just how much I use it for on line buying and the problems involved with not having one. Debit cards are no good because you have no backup if any thing goes wrong, some places will not even accept a debit card in case of fraud.

Could have been worse I suppose, at least the bank picked it up straight away.

oldbeefer2 09:16 22 Jul 09

The banks are better at picking up unusual transactions now - particularly large ones. They may not know how or where the card was cloned - there are so many lowlifes around who are very clever in the electronics dept. Probably a good idea to have two card accounts as, like me, you use yours for most things. When one has been 'done' you have the other to use.

interzone55 10:27 22 Jul 09

The biggest place for credit card cloning is filling stations.

Never let the card out of your sight when paying at a petrol station...

peter99co 10:31 22 Jul 09

Is it safer to use Tesco Garages or do they have a history as well?

Forum Editor 23:37 22 Jul 09

because you have no backup if any thing goes wrong"

That's not true - you have exactly the same protection against fraud on your debit card as you do on your credit card, but unless your card provider offers it (and many do) you don't have the same protection as credit cards provide under the Consumer Credit Act.

interzone55 12:02 23 Jul 09

I've not heard of Tescos having a problem, but then again, not all Tesco garages belong to Tesco.

If the garage is at a superstore it's most likely a Tesco garage, if it's at an Express store then it's likely to be a different garage with Tesco branding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced