CRB checks

Liteman 11:38 16 Jul 09

Hi - I belong to a club which doesn't normally have people under the age of 18. We also run a 10 week course (one night a week) which doesn't include membership of the club, but it's possible that people below that age may join.

Does anyone know if the current members involved in running this course would need to be CRB checked?

Thanks

johndrew 11:52 16 Jul 09

This may point you in the right direction click here

laurie53 20:06 16 Jul 09

I believe checks are required if there is regular contact once a month or more.

justme 20:24 16 Jul 09

Might I suggest that you contact your local police station and ask to speak to someone about this. Showing that you want to do things properly may help if there is some sort of grey area where classes are mixed.

If you do require CRB checks you may find that they are rather expensive (especially if you have to have several people checked) and that it may just be easier to restrict your classes to adults only.

I realise that this is not what you want but in these days of checking everybody it may be the only answer financially.

I am Spartacus 21:15 16 Jul 09

There's a rough guide in this article. Indicates it might be required.

I am Spartacus 21:42 16 Jul 09

Helps if I provide the link click here

Liteman 23:22 16 Jul 09

Thanks for the advice & links - it all leads me to the conclusion that we should put a lower age limit of 18 on all our activities - many thanks.

laurie53 07:53 17 Jul 09

"it all leads me to the conclusion that we should put a lower age limit of 18 on all our activities "

Which is rather sad isn't it?

There was`a news item here in Scotland last night that authors of childrens' books who visit schools and libraries to read to children from their books (and from the film library clips it was obvious the children were enthralled) now have to have CRB checks.

As a result many of them understandably feel affronted and are not going to visit schools any more.

hastelloy 11:32 17 Jul 09

It is a sensible precaution to have CRB checks. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that children are the only ones at risk or that children are always under 18. click here scroll down to section 9 near the bottom.

Terry Brown 21:05 17 Jul 09

I have to have a CRB check every 3 years as part of the security service I work for, the cost (2009) is £250 per person for the basic checks, If you have to deal directly with minors there is another check- I do not know the cost of that.

Terry

knockin on 00:02 18 Jul 09

"As a result many of them understandably feel affronted and are not going to visit schools any more."

I get checked out everytime I pass though airport security, maybe I should be affronted?

No one is accusing them, just checking them out. Good thing too. Get over it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…