Crazy Regs

Ancient Learner 21:40 05 Jun 07

We had a visit the other day from the Fire Brigade. It seems that they had been advised that I had oxygen in the house, for medical purposes. The chap removed our 2 smoke alarms and fitted 3 new ones in what he said were appropriate places. (these new alarms have 10 year batteries in them) He also wanted to know if we used a chip pan and/or electric blankets - we don't, but it appears that he would have replaced these too - all free.
I don't have any real problem with all this, although one is forced to wonder how they can afford it.

He just appeared at our door, travelling in an official van - a neighbour got the full fire engine on another day for the same purpose.

We offered him our steps to do the fixing, but Health and Safety dictated that he had to use his own, which were exactly like ours.
In chatting to him, it transpired that they are no longer allowed to use the pole to slide down. This is causing injuries on concrete steps as they sprint to the engines. Also they are no longer allowed to play contact sports to keep fit.
What a wonderful situation.

namtas 22:05 05 Jun 07

I don't know the official line on this, but I do know that oxygen is one of the most dangerous flammable gases around, it wont burn by itself but in the presence of a igniter it is horrendous I viewed a demonstration where a dummy was ignited after being saturated with oxygen, it literally exploded in a an explosive fireball. A leaking oxygen cylinder would give this build up over time and perhaps aware of this they are adding to your protection.

hzhzhzhz 22:11 05 Jun 07

Crazy Regs
Crazy Country

Fred the flour grader 22:23 05 Jun 07

A friend of mine was a fireman a few years ago but was pentioned off after injuring himself rescuing a child from a burning house.
He told me that whilst they were building a type 42 destroyer at the Swan Hunter shipyard on the Tyne, there was a fire on the ship. He said there was oxygen and acetalyne bottles in the fire and the oxygen hoses burst. The fire was the worst he had ever witnessed, and that some people had lost their lives in it. I can't remember which ship it was, may of been HMS Glasgow or HMS Coventry.

On the lines of Health & Safety, it is now probably the most important items in a company stucture. I witnessed it first hand where my old boss was more concerned about our health and safety indoctrination than he was about the profit the site was making. At the time I thought it was well over the top, and at times just plain daft some of his ideas. I now work for a one man band type operation, where there is no such thing as a H&S program of any kind. I can honestly say I much preferred the way my previous company viewed H&S to the way I work now.
Fred

Stuartli 22:38 05 Jun 07

Merseyside Fire Brigade has been fitting smoke detectors free of charge for several years now and, yes, the the firemen come in a big red fire engine...:-)

They'll even provide replacement batteries for smoke alarms free of charge for anyone cheeky enough to ask when the batteries expire.

Whilst fitting the smoke alarms, they also undertake a safety check on electrical equipment in your home - particularly important in the case of those who overload the two or three-way adapters that fit into a mains socket.

Anyone who does is advised to purchase a proper extension board.

If it all helps to prevent just one fire and one or more lives, then it's well worthwhile.

Oh, by the way, they use a fire engine in case they get a "shout".

Stuartli 22:40 05 Jun 07

I use to spend hours playing volleyball with the local firemen, many of whom were friends, at the back of the station when I was (much) younger.

hzhzhzhz 22:42 05 Jun 07

They are not really bothered if you die in an accident. Its the fact that if you are only injured, then it will cost the Health Service lots of money to treat you.

hzhzhzhz 22:43 05 Jun 07

Money that could be better spent fighting wars in far off lands.

Forum Editor 22:58 05 Jun 07

is incredibly destructive when ignited, as namtas says. Pretty well anything will burn vigorously in an oxygen-rich atmosphere.
Great care is required when handling cylinders of compressed oxygen, as misuse can result in a fire so fierce that it can be almost impossible to put out.

DrScott 23:52 05 Jun 07

Ancient Learner has an oxygen concentrator rather than cylinders. Whilst that still gives a supply of oxygen, it's limited to providing it whilst the machine is in operation. It's mechanism of action is to fix oxygen from the air. It's not as pressurised or as plentiful as that supplied via oxygen pipelines or compressed gas cylinders.

kevinjuan 07:58 06 Jun 07

The 2004 Fire & Rescue Services Act
Section 6
Fire safety

(1) A fire and rescue authority must make provision for the purpose of promoting fire safety in its area.

(2) In making provision under subsection (1) a fire and rescue authority must in particular, to the extent that it considers it reasonable to do so, make arrangements for-

(a) the provision of information, publicity and encouragement in respect of the steps to be taken to prevent fires and death or injury by fire;

(b) the giving of advice, on request, about-

(i) how to prevent fires and restrict their spread in buildings and other property;

(ii) the means of escape from buildings and other property in case of fire.

In Bucks, a leaflet was sent out with the Council Tax information in March. This leaflet invited people to request a visit to give advice about fire safety in the home.
During these visits, if something is seen that is a hazard to the householder we will give advice about it. If something is seen that would be a hazard to the Fire-fighters attending an incident, we make a note of it so that the information can be added to the "Turn Out" sheet allowing us to make decisions based on risk assessment.

hzhzhzhz
Who isn't bothered by a death at an incident??? Perhaps you ought to visit your local fire station and talk to the Fire Crews.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos