Cranford

Sapins 19:07 26 Nov 07

What an absolute delight to watch something the BBC does better than anyone else, I'll even forgive them for manipulating the dancing on a par with the telephone scandals.

If you missed the first two parts have a look on the BBC site and search for "Cranford"

exdragon 19:47 26 Nov 07

The episode with the cat was the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time!

I seem to remember reading the book at school and finding it terminally boring - I think it may be a good idea to re-visit it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:52 26 Nov 07

Cranford is worth every penny of the licence fee by itself...a triumph.

G

Forum Editor 19:57 26 Nov 07

Quite superb. Anyone who likes the English language couldn't fail to find it spellbinding. More of the same please.

The BBC should take the plunge and put 'Ruth' on the screen; it caused an uproar when it was published, and is worth putting at the top of your Amazon list if you haven't read it.

Brumas 20:26 26 Nov 07

A master class in acting by a class of master actors/actresses.

ventanas 21:05 26 Nov 07

I have to admit that I wasn't too hopeful when I started to watch the first episode. Not really my type of author. But I was spellbound, Wonderful acting and a great storyline. I've been waiting for something like this since Bleak House.

Forum Editor 23:28 26 Nov 07

If you enjoy Cranford you'll like 'Wives and daughters' and 'North and South'. Elizabeth Gaskell also wrote ghost stories - well worth a read, especially when you remember that all this writing was accomplished in 17 years - Elizabeth's first book was published when she was 38 and she died when she was 55. Charlotte Brontë was a great friend of hers, and her biography of Charlotte is wonderful.

ventanas 08:50 27 Nov 07

Thanks FE, I'll keep my eyes open. Presently reading The Woman in White for the fourth time.

As for the Brontes, we live about 20 mins drive from Haworth, so they are no strangers, although I've not read anything of theirs for decades.

BT 07:58 28 Nov 07

"The episode with the cat was the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time!"

Gives a whole new slant on "Puss in Boots" !!!

bretsky 22:14 29 Nov 07

Such a shame that we have to put up with a lot of rubbish the BBC puts out as well as the repeats, and then something like a good old costume drama comes along which makes all it worth the wait, if only they would make more because they excel themselves.

bretsky ;0)

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:10 30 Nov 07

'if only they would make more'..costume drama costs £750,000 to £1.5 million an HOUR to make, game shows cost £40,000 ish....do the math.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…