The cost of stamps on the rise

finerty 27 Mar 12

1st and 2nd class stamps are going zooming up thanks to the MP's and the regulator.

Stamps

Condom 27 Mar 12

As I understand it what has happened is that the price controls have been abolished but that doesn't necessarily mean that prices are going up but it probably does.

I can't remember the last time I sent a letter by snail mail as the Post Office has already priced itself out of my market and what I'm prepared to pay.

wiz-king 27 Mar 12

We are about halfway down the costing list

buteman 27 Mar 12

First class going up from 48p to 60p now I am not that good at counting but it has to be about a 25% rise.

I don't suppose it is anything to do with the Government taking it over and then reselling it.

It is a bit pathetic I think.

You have workers that have not had a pay rise or likely to get one in the near future and yet Royal mail are allowed to put their prices up by 25%.

Well I suppose e-mail is cheaper and quicker.Anyone with a share in any Xmas card company's I think now would be a good time to bail out.

It is getting to the stage where the stamp may be dearer than the Xmas card and not worth sending anymore because of the cost.

Blackhat 27 Mar 12

Buteman.

Cards are a lot cheaper than you think. pack of Xmas cards

Grey Goo 27 Mar 12

Someone advised people a couple of weeks ago to stock up before the rise.

buteman 27 Mar 12

Blackhat

Remember the bigger they are the more expensive to send.

I did read or hear something the other day about the Government.

Taking over the pension scheme first.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2096646a-71a8-11e1-8497-00144feab49a.html

Then selling off the rest of Royal Mail next year after they privatise it.

http://www.myfinances.co.uk/investments/2012/03/26/ft-government-looking-to-privatise-royal-mail-by-next-autumn.

buteman 27 Mar 12

Blinking hate that you copy and paste and it looks fine at the print at the bottom then will not open properly.

Ignore those last 2 entries as they do not work. Sorry.

bremner 27 Mar 12

buteman

The first link works fine but needs you to register to view.

Second Link

Chegs ®™ 27 Mar 12

I'm anti-social so don't send xmas cards,the only way these price increases will affect me is when (on the few occasions)I have to pay to have the item delivered.I cannot recall the last time I sent a letter as I've used email instead.

buteman 27 Mar 12

Thanks bremner.

Looks like the prices are going up so that it will make it easier to sell.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message