Cost of smartphone-type devices

HenryVII 16:55 06 Nov 14

Some years back PDAs were popular, and we're much like electronic, top-pocket sized FiloFaxes. Then, it seems, we all found a need to play music, browse the Web, take photos and phone friends continually, whether walking, sitting, eating or sleeping, and regardless of the social context. I've been there too, but I quickly found the music was best listened to in a sensible environment, the photos were rubbish so I bought an excellent compact camera, I never needed to Web-browse in the street and I didn't need the phone to tell someone - and the world - that I was on the bus and would be home in five minutes.

Now I've gone back to a paper FiloFax for recording my personal data, and my shopping list is on the back of an envelope, rather than pay an horrendous price for all the bits I don't need or want in the nearest electronic equivalent.

OTT_B 17:13 06 Nov 14

That kind of action will get you right the GCHQ radar!

Seriously though, point taken. I switched on my tablet last night for the first time in nearly a year, then remembered why I stopped using it. My smart phone now spends most of its time with data switched off, and on silent. There's something to be said for not being permanently connected and available to all and sundry.

morddwyd 08:40 07 Nov 14

I used to carry a PIM and a mobile. Now I combine the two in a smart phone.

I don't use it for music, or video, or photos (except for delivery trucks parked in disabled spaces!), or games, except for Solitaire, handy in a doctor's or hospital waiting room.

I do use it as a convenient alarm clock/timer/stopwatch, as a torch, as a magnifier, sometimes as a Sat Nav if I'm on strange ground.

Pricey for what I use it for perhaps, but I get the convenoence.

QuizMan 08:55 07 Nov 14

I think the mp3 playing capabilities is essential for blocking out other people's annoying phone conversations. These days, I need a phone much less than I did but when I was working, which was of a peripatetic nature, the mobile phone was essential.

Video?-no. Camera?-only when I had nothing better to use. Social media?-no. Games?-no (what's wrong with a book?) E-mail?-no

But I will admit to become ever more reliant on the "OK Google" function.

Quickbeam 09:45 07 Nov 14

I'm fully techo-converted!

There's no going back now...

bremner 10:05 08 Nov 14

each to their own, I love my smartphone and how it helps my lifestyle.

Henry VII's 15th century attitude perfectly fits his forum name :)

HenryVII 12:07 08 Nov 14

I like all these responses, particularly Bremner's. As it happens most of my working life was spent on IT departments as a programmer and a systems analyst. I loved it all, developing systems to store and manipulate data.

Now, however, I find if I want to carry masses of data in a neat little electronic device, I have to pay for the phone, MP3 player, cameras, etc. none of which happen to be of any use to me. If I were younger I'm sure I would be emailing selfies to all and sundry while listening to Spotify tracks, but at 72 prefer a slower and calmer lifestyle. :)

Batch 16:00 08 Nov 14

I don't use my smartphone (a Moto G) that much (only when I'm out), but I find it a good combination, although a tad bulky compared with a basic moby.

On my travels I started with a 14" lappie, followed by a 10" nettie and then a tablet. But I find for my travel needs (checking emails and a few web sites that I need to keep tabs on), the smartphone is adequate and far more practical.

The music is useful to pass the time whilst travelling on pubic transport.

Camera is not up to much, but can be handy on odd occasions when I wouldn't be carrying a camera anyhow.

So overall I'm for it.

Aitchbee 17:14 08 Nov 14

I know for a fact that one of my relatives is getting a Hudl 2 next month for a *mas prezzie; the 'scary thing' is she's only 2-and-a-half.

PS ... it's a pink one.

bumpkin 18:28 08 Nov 14

the 'scary thing' is she's only 2-and-a-half.

Give her a few months and she will be able to teach you how to use it:-))

wee eddie 18:59 08 Nov 14

It has struck me that one's need for a Smartphone increases in inverse proportion to the interest of your lifestyle.

I am now sitting in my Taxi, bored out of my skull, and have been chasing Facebook. While I'm down at the Ice Rink, Curling, it gets forgotten.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…