Cornish pasties

carver 10:32 23 Feb 11

You have to admit that occasionally the European Commission sometimes have their use click here

Might mean that I can buy one that actually tastes like one and not a smattering of under cooked vegetables in a bit of pastry.

wiz-king 10:47 23 Feb 11

I feel sorry for Budgens - they have just brought out a range of 'own brand' pies and pasties and they will have to rename the Cornish pasty as it is the wrong shape and probably not made in Cornwall.

interzone55 11:13 23 Feb 11

Ginsters are made in Cornwall - so just because a cornish pastie is made in Cornwall doesn't necessarily make it world class.

For my money my favourite pasties are from Hampsons (or Sayers as they're being renamed), the Bolton version of Greggs

Quickbeam 11:27 23 Feb 11

I'm surprised that they've given them special protection status. A pastie is a pastie is a pastie, wherever you make it. They're made with unspecified flour, potato, meat etc. It's just a generic type of pastry to me.

Unlike Wensleydale cheese that naturally gets it's distinct characteristics from the herds pasturing in Wensleydale, and the flavour and texture being accredited to the limestone landscape, that as far as I know still hasn't got protection yet click here

SimpleSimon1 11:49 23 Feb 11

"...Ginsters are made in..."

Wash you mouth out with battery acid whenever you mention that name(actually, battery acid would probably be better for you!)

"...For my money my favourite pasties are from Hampsons"

Nah mate, if you're in the area (Marazion, Praze, or Hayle) Philps Bakeries are defo the ones to go for. Failing that, Annes Pasties at Lizard village
or McFaddens in St.Just are simply unbeatable (although you have to be quick at McFaddens cos the local pensioners know a good pasty when they eat one and tend to clear them out PDQ)!

However, my [Cornish] wife's pasties are the best of the lot :-)

oresome 12:06 23 Feb 11

"However, my [Cornish] wife's pasties are the best of the lot :-)"

I don't doubt it. Does your wife do mail order?

interzone55 12:08 23 Feb 11

Which is exactly why I said that just because they're made in Cornwall doesn't make them good.

interzone55 12:12 23 Feb 11

"Unlike Wensleydale cheese that naturally gets it's distinct characteristics from the herds pasturing in Wensleydale, and the flavour and texture being accredited to the limestone landscape, that as far as I know still hasn't got protection yet "

This again is rubbish. I know of several Cheshire cheeses that are made in cheshire, but from milk ferried in from Shropshire. Likewise Stilton that is made in the stilton triangle (Derbyshire, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire) but from milk brought in from Cheshire and Shropshire....

Clapton is God 12:15 23 Feb 11

So, can we assume that the EU will now make similar sensible rulings for:

Cheddar cheese, Eccles cakes, Lancashire hotpot, Yorkshire pud, Bakewell tarts, Bath buns, Arbroath smokie, etc, etc, etc

SimpleSimon1 12:16 23 Feb 11

"I don't doubt it. Does your wife do mail order?"

Sorry...but the good news is that Philps do (click here By Post/PastiesByPost)

and, before anyone asks, the standard disclaimer applies...I have no connection with these businesses other than as an [extremely] satisified consumer :-)

SimpleSimon1 12:22 23 Feb 11

Sorry, however, over the years, my in-laws have instilled it into me that every mention of that name must be accompanied by ritual spitting, or the internet equivalent thereof :-)

You are, of course, absolutely spot-on re your point, though. However, no matter what I think of them, at least they bring money into Cornwall and if the rulng helps that...well, it will have done some good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple