Conversations in a suana

SparkyJack 15:09 PM 20 Dec 11

Whilst 'chilling' in the sauna after a work out - the chat usually centres around footy or what the season plans are so the the following piece made a welcome change and to me a surprising piece of information.

One of us described the latest antic of a truck driver trying to fit his 10 ft wide container truck up a 6 foot alley - because that what the sat nav told him, and the thousands of pounds worth of damage to vehicle and property it caused.

I added my comment of frequently seeing large vehicles wending their way up my road when in fact they should be one road to the north- including on one occasion a transporter with 10 cars up- and the sight of the driver trying to back into a cul de sac to turn back the way he came from.

One of us, a driving instructor, commented that none of this is necessary now because there are now 'Large vehicle' cards available now and he remarked on a friend who used such a device because he draws a caravan when on vacation.

Chegs ®™ 23:07 PM 20 Dec 11

The satnav's for everyone,can be purchased for under £50.The last time I looked at satnav's for HGV's,the prices were in four figures.It doesn't take a genius to do the maths to understand why ordinary satnavs get used by all,especially when you consider that the special satnavs are needed perhaps once or twice a year.Added to this problem is the drivers are of foreign origin & don't understand the roadsigns,which is why we were faced with a lengthy journey to a nearby village as an artic had attempted to negotiate a minor road and got stuck on a humpback bridge damaging the bridge in the process.The artic had to be cut up to remove it from the minor road,the bridge had to be rebuilt & as a result the road was closed for almost six months.

Quickbeam 07:03 AM 21 Dec 11

"drivers are of foreign origin & don't understand the roadsigns" ???

morddwyd 08:13 AM 21 Dec 11

I'm with you!

One of the reasons we had to change many of our road signs a few years ago (remember the hand holding a torch, which indicated a school?) was to make them the same as those used on the mainland.

I remember somebody commenting once on how sensible it was of the Germans to adopt the same blue motorway signage as us.

He was a bit put out when I pointed out that the Germans had motorways, and signage, some thirty years before the UK had such a "major breakthrough"!

Quickbeam 08:56 AM 21 Dec 11

"remember the hand holding a torch, which indicated a school?" No, I must be too young;)

Even looking it up, I find that the old Janet & John gaily stepping off the kerb with satchels swinging school sign, is the oldest one I can recall.

Even the old British road signage has pretty obvious pictograms to non-British drivers, the change only gave us a Europe wide standard.

Quickbeam 09:03 AM 21 Dec 11

Note how an innocently worded statement can now have a sexual connotation with the changes in the use of words over the years...

SparkyJack 10:03 AM 21 Dec 11

To what what were you alluding too when you wrote

'Note how an innocently worded statement can now have a sexual connotation with the changes in the use of words over the years.'..?

Quickbeam 10:29 AM 21 Dec 11
  john bunyan 11:12 AM 21 Dec 11

Quickbeam. My Australian friends were amused by a local road sign pointing to "Public Hard" ...where boats can be launched of course!

Quickbeam 11:19 AM 21 Dec 11

We may have gone a deviation too far here, it's only a matter of time before the decent public of Mornington Crescent are offended by the antics of when Terry meets Julie on the Waterloo sunset express.

SparkyJack 12:41 PM 21 Dec 11

QB Got it.

But it took a while- I am very old you know, and 'straight'

There was a family photo portrait studio in this town- going back the 50 plus years I have lived here - called Go Gay

One day a few years back I noticed the signage had changed it was now called Go Gaze-

that took a while to sink in why.

Innocent and old that's me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…