Contents Labelling

laurie53 07:41 19 Jun 09

I had some tinned cods’ roe the other day. (Yes I know it’s not ideal, but it’s better than nothing when the fresh isn’t available).

It was a well known brand that we’ve been using for years but there was something about the taste and texture that wasn’t right, and I rescued the tin to check the use by date.

I was surprised to find that the “new recipe” contained only 63% cods’ roe, the rest, apart from seasoning etc, being made up of tomato puree.

Yesterday I had some “Baked Beans with Sausages” and the beans seemed a bit thin on the ground. A check of the tin revealed only 37% beans, the rest, apart from the sausages, being tomato sauce.

Now no-one expects a tin to contain exactly 100% what it is labelled as, but should there not be around 90% of an individual label, or more than 50% of a primary ingredient with additional contents?

You buy a tin of pilchards in tomato sauce, or sardines in oil, and you have a good idea of what you’re getting, but some of this labelling appears to be going very close to rip-off territory.

BT 07:53 19 Jun 09

Those beans and sausages are a bit iffy. Even Tescos Value Baked Beans and Sausages have 41% Beans,12% sausages and 16% Tomato Puree plua all the other stuff.

Even standard tins of baked beans only contain
Tescos = 49%
Branston = 52%
of beans.

Haven't had Cod's roe since about 1960, when I was living with an Aunt for a while and we had it for tea every Friday.

Kevscar1 07:54 19 Jun 09

Why it says on the tin what percentage of what. It's down to you to read it and decide whether to buy it or not

Quickbeam 08:32 19 Jun 09

You should stick to tinned tomatoes... 100% what it says on the tin;)

BT 08:34 19 Jun 09

Even they have Juice added ;-)

laurie53 09:21 19 Jun 09

"It's down to you to read it and decide whether to buy it or not"

We normally do, of course, particularly since we both have to watch our intakes of sat fat and trans fats, and my wife has a very unpleasant allergy triggered by MSG.

However, reading the small print on every product you put in your trolley makes for a long trip, so you tend to stick to brands that you know and have used before, and just check out anything new.

The brand of cods' roe, for instance, we have been using for the best part of forty years and up to now would have regarded it as unnecessary to go through the small print every time.

anchor 10:05 19 Jun 09

This was a new term to me; (I had to look it up).

It`s been going on for years. I recall the time when pots of Jam were always 1lb, now the usual weight is 12ozs. I don`t recall the price going down.

About a year ago the weight of the 2lb, (900g), packet of Birds Eye frozen peas was reduced to 800g; again without a drop in price. There are so many instances of this.

Read the label is good advice; not that in many cases one can do anything about it.

jack 10:59 19 Jun 09

They got to fill the tins with summat.
Just think every time you consume cod roe that is a couple of thousand fry/codlet /cod that did not make it to the batter stage in the local chippy.
As my mum used to say 'You cant have your cake and eat it';-}

dagnammit 11:29 19 Jun 09

Indeed jack which is why Pollock is more on the menu these days.

Bingalau 11:41 19 Jun 09

The one I always notice is/are newspaers. You pick one up everyday at the shop and then one day you think "Hey, this paper is a bit thinner than usual" and it is because they have reduced it by a few pages. Then about a week later you get the "This paper will be increasing in price next week, but it will also be increasing in size by a few extra pages". We are a gullible lot!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5