Contentious Olympics

Quickbeam 07:48 10 Apr 08

click here We haven't had this amount of acrimony over the Olympics since the Russia Vs America tiffs in the '80s. Is it worth it?

Personally, whatever your beliefs, I think politics should remain out of sport. There is more of an argument that sport binds warring nations than strong political views can...

laurie53 08:35 10 Apr 08

Politics, money and "sport" are now inextricably intertwined.

We're now even seeing arguments in the Paralympics, which is very sad.

wee eddie 09:32 10 Apr 08

China's top Male and Female Squads spend the whole Curling Season in Canada and will do for the foreseeable future.

It seems to be paying off for them as well. They were Finalists in the Womans World Championship and are doing well in the Mens where they are the only team to have beaten the Canadians in 10 games.

wee eddie 09:33 10 Apr 08

Must be the Lottery.

medicine hat 13:59 10 Apr 08

I'm boycotting the opening ceremony, and won't be attending any other day for that matter. I'll stick to watching it on the BBC instead.

peter99co 17:22 10 Apr 08

Are you really Gordon Brown cos he said he isnt attending the opening...

Forum Editor 18:19 10 Apr 08

Presumably you're in favour of allowing the Zimbabwe cricket team to tour the UK then, are you?

polish 19:41 10 Apr 08

i thought the olympics is about friendship and good will amongst nations which china isnt showing to tibet

anskyber 20:12 10 Apr 08

I shall enjoy the spectacle of the Olympics, China will do a magnificent job, you watch.

I am also enjoying the opportunity for protesters to highlight the human rights record of China; keep prodding I say.

China is a big country and it is liberalising albeit at a painfully slow rate; better that though than a bloody revolution.

China may huff and puff but its standing in the world community does matter to them, in a prickly sort of way.

So from here can I say "Free Tibet".

wee eddie 21:02 10 Apr 08

And I'm not really sure of Northern Ireland's status.

I think that we'd do well to look at the moat in our own eye.

1911 23:11 10 Apr 08

Am I alone? I never ever watch the Olypics now. I think hearing a commentator screaming "HE SMASHED THE RECORD BY O POINT FIVE HUNDREDTH OF A SECOND" is daft. As for grown men racing 60ys!! count me out Lets see a good game of football.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…