Contacting the DVLA

anchor 14:42 24 Feb 09

Has anyone been successful is contacting the DVLA in Swansea recently?.

My photocard driving licence together needs to be renewed, also the photograph needs to be updated. For more than a week I have tried unsuccessfully to contact them for further information. I have telephoned, and only get a recording referring me to their web site, which does not answer my question.

I have sent e-mails and Faxes which appear to have been ignored.

The Brigadier 16:14 24 Feb 09

Phoning them gets a result as does writing!
Emailing seems not to have reached Swansea yet!!!!

bremner 16:16 24 Feb 09

click here for what appears to be everything you need to know.

If what you need is not there perhaps by telling us what it is someone will already have done it.

anchor 16:34 24 Feb 09

The Brigadeer seems to have had more luck in speaking to someone than I have. As I said, for more than a week I have tried to phone, and only get a recording referring me to their web site, which does not answer my question. Where is the form that they should have sent?.

On their site its states;

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will send you a renewal application pack two months before your photo is due to expire. You’ll need to:

complete the enclosed form.
include a new passport type photo of yourself that’s been taken within the last month (you don’t need the back of the photo signed).
return both parts of your driving licence (photocard and counterpart document).
enclose a cheque or postal order for £17.50 (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over)
send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DH

DVLA will also let you know if your photo is due to be renewed when it sends you a reminder to renew your entitlement to drive. A reminder will be sent when you’re due to renew at age 70 or over.

I have heard nothing from the DVLA and my photocard expires on 31.3.09.

john bunyan 16:47 24 Feb 09

A reminder that if when you reach 70, you want to go on driving vehicles above 2.5 tonnes - up to 7.5 or 8 with a trailer, you need a medical cert. The licence was indeed free, but my GP charged £98 for the examination! (Like the HGV one)

WhiteTruckMan 16:55 24 Feb 09

the medical fee your gp charges is purely a private arrangement between you and your gp. there are no fixed or set charges for this, so next time you are faced with having to have a medical then simply shop around. Or rather, do some ringing around.

WTM

user8 16:58 24 Feb 09

Did email them my details to get a new updated licence, but nothing got sent.
Now go through work who use DVLA a lot and have better contacts with them!

john bunyan 16:59 24 Feb 09

I will, but if the difference is small, my own GP knows my history. I did go elsewhere for a diving medical to a Doc reccomended by my local dive centre.JB

bremner 16:59 24 Feb 09

On this page click here it says:

"Without a renewal application
If, for any reason, you don’t receive the renewal application forms you can use the D1 ‘application for a driving licence’. This is available from the DVLA form ordering service, and Post Office® branches. You can check the expiry date of your photo in section 4b on the front of your driving licence."

anthonystorey 17:14 24 Feb 09

had to ring them a few times recently about my log book (which hadnt arrived) went through the automated bit and spoke to someone on both occasions in under a minute the staff were very polite and apologetic i think they have some issues with transfering data/details as she mentioned something about receiving 'stuff' on microfilm

Covergirl 20:30 24 Feb 09

. . . . my first photocard driving licence online about two weeks ago using Bremners link - all done and dusted within about 10 days - card licence received, money out of the account, another happy customer.

If your reminder hasn't arrived and you're aware of it, you'd better get it sorted rather than run the risk of a fine should anything untoward or unexpected happen. Send a new photo anyway, whether you need to or not.

I realise you're making the point that their system has failed - hopefully you're the only one, however many previous threads have pointed towards the fact that last July (or thereabouts) was the tenth anniversary of the Photocard Driving Licence, so any users of this forum (and many other forums) will be aware and do the decent thing whether they get a reminder or not. I think it's down to you to renew whether you get a reminder or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac