Consumer law

laurie53 10:21 09 Oct 08

Perhaps the EU is not entirely useless as they propose better consumer protection!

click here

GRIDD 10:25 09 Oct 08

That's all well and good but a lot of manufacturers won't honour warranty outside the country of sale.

GRIDD 10:25 09 Oct 08

.....So I'll stick to buying in the UK.

Cymro. 11:14 09 Oct 08

"That's all well and good but a lot of manufacturers won't honour warranty outside the country of sale".

So the sooner the EU becomes the United States Of Europe the better then.

laurie53 11:27 09 Oct 08

I think you miss the point.

The proposal is designed to make warranties, and othet consumer law, enforceable throughout the union.

Forum Editor 13:46 09 Oct 08

and one which is greatly overdue.

GRIDD 09:34 10 Oct 08

I haven't. Legally the warranty is with the seller and not the manufacturer but the manufacturer is often the fastest call for a repair.

So if I buy a camera from France sure the seller is responsible but the arm of the manufacturer present in the UK doesn't have any obligations to fix it for me and will (often) refuse to fix it because it was bought in another country.

Prime example is the Sony PS3. People bought the prized 60GB model from other countries when the shelves cleared in the UK. Some of them are now having issue as Sony UK won't fix them.

I stand by what I said..... I'll buy in the UK so I can get it fixed in the UK.

laurie53 20:14 10 Oct 08

"Some of them are now having issue as Sony UK won't fix them."

Why should they? It's not their responsibility, and the proposed change to EU consumer law won't change that.

The responsibility will still lie with the seller, but hopefully baxcked up by law.

I still think you missed either the point of my post or the point of the proposed legislation!

Whether you buy in the UK or not is entirely a personal decision - your rights will be the same no matter where you buy.

I will preferably buy in a shop rather than on line or by post because it's easier to make a return, but if justified I am still entitled to my return no matter how I buy.

GRIDD 20:51 11 Oct 08

laurie53 - I'm not missing the point at all.

The legislation is good but more often than not it's better to get a repair from the manufacturer and not the seller.

Perhaps if the legislation had a section appended to say that manufacturers can't refuse to honour the warranty if it was bought in another part of Europe.

GRIDD 20:57 11 Oct 08

I might be persuaded to shop further away for goods.

laurie53 08:34 12 Oct 08

But this legislation is to do with shoppers' rights.

You shop with a retailer, not a manufacturer, unless a manufacturer has a retail arm itself, in which case it will be bound by the same retail consumer laws.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…