The CIA has been up to no good.

But you always knew that, didn't you?

click here

WhiteTruckMan 20:59 15 Aug 07

Wikipedia, the CIA or the BBC?

Tough choice...

WTM

sunny staines 21:23 15 Aug 07

just our own well informed trusted forum readers, together we can put the world right.

wee eddie 21:31 15 Aug 07

There is no organisation that does not have it's own interests.

I must admit that it does not surprise me that Wikipedia is being amended by assorted interested parties. After all they would not be doing their job properly if they passed up a chance like that.

It does surprise me that they were so basic in their attempt to cover their tracks.

Forum Editor 23:15 15 Aug 07

Now that we are all able to access such vast amounts of information it's actually becoming more difficult to ascertain what are (or aren't) the facts of a matter. There are often so many interested parties, all wanting to state their version of the truth, that the real unvarnished truth is quite often indiscernible.

Go back a hundred years or so and you wouldn't have any such trouble - the facts were what you read in the newspaper. In those days an average person had no other source of news, and the power of the press was enormous; 'If it's in the paper it must be true'

Nowadays we're so advanced that even government agencies can and do edit an on-line information site so that it's potentially devalued as a reference source. Not everyone will know that of course, so Wikipedia will continue to be regarded by many as a repository of facts - which it is, it's just that some of the facts aren't facts at all....or are they?

WhiteTruckMan 23:42 15 Aug 07

"some of the facts aren't facts at all"

And thats a fact!

WTM

Snec 00:00 16 Aug 07

I'm working on trying to believe nothing at all.

And you know something, I think I'm getting there.

wee eddie 00:14 16 Aug 07

Even 100 years ago the Government and the Newspaper Barons bent the "Facts" to their will.

To the point that the Metropolitan population preferred the quality of the, so called, Gutter Press.

The Gutter Press was the term of derision used by the "Powers that Be" for the single sheet Newspapers, sold from the gutter and containing a different, and frequently ribald, version of what the Broadsheet Newspapers were printing.

€dstowe 07:15 16 Aug 07

Don't forget Citizendium which claims to be a peer reviewed version of Wikipedia - thus more reliable. Whether it is or not, I don't know.

click here

egapup 08:52 16 Aug 07

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

laurie53 08:55 16 Aug 07

Like many others I have amended Wikipedia; it's not
difficult.

You therefore have to be aware that it is written by the likes of you and I, and treat the information accordingly, like the posts on this forum!

There is no doubt that it is a useful knowledge tool, but like computers generally, is open to abuse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…