Concordia - Whats next?

SparkyJack 10:37 21 Jan 12

I came across this via BBC News/UTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9iSGh0t0X0

What do you all think

john bunyan 10:42 21 Jan 12

As well as this issue I saw on BBC that lawyers acting for the passengers are asking for £100,000 each for the trauma....

SparkyJack 10:55 21 Jan 12

I saw that also, but a separate issue to the fate of the vessel.

octal 11:19 21 Jan 12

Expensive which ever way you look at it, I notice it is insured for far less than what the ship is worth, I think this is going to be one for the bean counters.

john bunyan 11:45 21 Jan 12

I guess that salvage would be a first option as the main gash is exposed, but as has been pointed out, if the ship is resting on two "pinacles" it could break its back , or slide into deeper water. An on site break up would be very messy, I imagine.

spuds 12:27 21 Jan 12

Due to the ships location and position, it might be another Torrey Canyon, but no so dramatic or heavy oil spillages? http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/torreycn.htm

SparkyJack 12:39 21 Jan 12

As is usual with reporting there is a measure of guess work and speculation,

The fuel issue is one- what type of fuel is it?

One report suggested that is was heavy oil- that requires heating to make it more viscous for the engines injectors-

This is true for large VLCC's or Bulk carriers where a very large single cathedral diesel is the norm.

But my guess the diesel generators for the electric propulsion motors on this and similar vessels use lighter 'Gas' oil similar to DERV that we put in our cars and trucks.

Its all a guessing game.

john bunyan 12:56 21 Jan 12

According to this, there is 2400 tonnes of heavy fuel (Iwonder if really 3500 seconds) and 200 tonnes of diesel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/crippled-cruise-liners-fuel-load-threatens-marine-paradise-off-italy-where-dolphins-romp/2012/01/20/gIQA9fhIEQ_story.html

WhiteTruckMan 20:10 21 Jan 12

Personally I think their best bet is to try and refloat it then tow it out. The hull damage is out of the water so that should be relatively easy to patch. Then expelling the water from the ship, in such a way that it comes upright again and not belly up. But the longer they leave it the harder it will be.

One thing is for certain though, and that it will never be put back into service. Just look what happened to the herald of free enterprise

WTM

TopCat® 21:15 21 Jan 12

I have a feeling that ship will not be refloated in time to avoid it breaking up further, probably assisted by a Mediterranean storm. I believe the insurers will decide to cut their losses very soon now, bearing in mind the ever increasing costs facing them and the lengthening time the vessel has lain in a capsized state. Scrap metal value may be their only recompense. TC.

namtas 21:16 21 Jan 12

If the bulk of the fuel is 3500 seconds, as I believe it is then with no steam to keep it hot it will be now be tar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced