computing related job.

antony.dandrea 13:44 20 Aug 09

i have been into computers all my life. I picked Computing for A Level. this is basically Computer Science (not ICT). I got my AS Level grade today and so far so good, i got A.

The thing is, i wondered that instead of goign to University, and all the stress involved, whether there were any computing related companys that would take on an 18 year old and train him up.

i heard that this is done wiht accounting firms, but i wondered if anyone knew any computing related firms tht do this. Im interested a lot in Softwre engineering. i know they usually go to univeristys for this sorta thing, but uni is harder than evr to get into, and a lot of money.

Many thanks,

dagnammit 13:49 20 Aug 09

Sorry, it's gotta be University.

Pamy 15:20 20 Aug 09

I think that if you did not go to university you would have to take a lowly job in an office environment and show your worth in computing to them

Stuartli 16:34 20 Aug 09

The big companies have their pick of IT graduates many, many times over.

You need to have the best possible grounding to even be considered.

Forum Editor 18:29 20 Aug 09

to be looking for an IT job - there are more applicants than positions. I would definitely go along with the others, and recommend that you go to university and sample "all the stress involved".

University life will teach you a great deal besides IT, and you'll come away with a degree, which is more or less essential if you want to go into software engineering.

If you can't handle the stress of going to university you're certainly not cut out for a life in IT - you'll be fine, just go there, work hard,make some great friends, and start your working life in three years time.

laurie53 20:05 20 Aug 09

What's stressful about going to uni, or by stress do you mean damned hard work?

Take no notice of those here.

Don't go if you don't want to, there are plenty of others who will jump at your chance.

Just stay as a non-graduate, on non-graduate's pay. Might no be much difference at your present level, but there will be in twenty years time, or when you want to change jobs.

Nothing like MA or BSc at the top of your cv to to get you on to the "second look" pile.

OTT_Buzzard 15:12 21 Aug 09

Can only echo what everyone else has said.

Software Engineering = minimum of bachelors degree. Preferably a masters.

A lot of company's do internal training for varying programming languages, but that's only to teach specfics, not to teach you to programme. They expect that your university degree would have taught you the fundamental principals of the varying types of languages and architectures, and given you a chance to practice!

PalaeoBill 17:51 24 Aug 09

University isn't for everyone, a small but significant number of students do drop out every year from a combination of stress and an inability to handle the work load. Admissions tutors can often predict which ones because schools are sending students to University that are clearly not suitable. A great deal of information needs to be forced into the heads of undergradutes in a short space of time. They need to assimilate and understand this so that it can be built on in subsequent lectures and practicals. The cutting of lessons in school can't be carried on to University as it is incredibly difficult to catch up. If your happy with your academic work load at AS/A2 and you are academically minded then go for it. Talk to your head of subject teacher and ask for their honest opinion of whether you are a suitable University candidate.
I would recommend a sandwich degree, the 3rd year of which will put you into industry where you can get a years proper paid work experience. You come back to University for the 4th year. Go for the BSc in Computer Science rather than IT. In vacation time volunteer for works experience at every opportunity. Attend every employers fair you can and talk to the recruiters.
If you don't get signed up in your 3rd year then by all means look to a 1 year MSc course, it will make you more employable but it is by no means a necessity. Ideally you want to do your MSc part time and have your first employer to pay for it.
There are companies like Next Plc who take on sandwich students and give a great grounding in both programming and software engineering.
If your not too ambitious on the University (look at the ex-Polytechnics) half decent A levels in Maths and Computer Science may well be enough and employers often consider their Computer Science degrees to be better balanced.

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017