Computer tax set to replace TV licence fee

powerless 23:18 05 Mar 05
  Forum Editor 00:17 06 Mar 05

in fact I'm sure we have, but I can't find it right now.

pj123 12:54 06 Mar 05

Yes, it's here: click here

powerless 13:04 06 Mar 05

:-(

Totally-braindead 19:29 07 Mar 05

I'm glad of the post anyway Powerless I missed this topic and the other thread was interesting too.

BigMoFoT 20:30 15 Mar 05

personally I think it's an excellent idea.

The government would then have to Bill for all our software - I mean come one we did give him a title after?

But serioulsy if a computer tax is used to subsidise the cost of software or even provide it free then who knows...

Properly policed obvioulsy :-)

Sapins 09:15 26 Mar 05

There is not a snowball in hell's chance that any money raised will be spent on anything remotely connected to computers.

Road Fund Tax!

Sapins 09:22 26 Mar 05

There are in fact 2 other threads on this subject. click here

As Totally-braindead says it does no harm to start another for those who missed the previous ones.

pj123 15:05 26 Mar 05

Sapins, Road Fund Tax! Not any more. It's now Vehicle Licence Tax. Nothing to do with the upkeep of the roads, which I think it was intended for in the first place. Not ringfenced so can be used for anything they (the Government) wants.

pj123 15:50 26 Mar 05

I can have 1 or 100 TVs in my house and I still only need to pay 1 licence fee. I understood the criteria to be: If you have any device that can receive broadcasts off air you need a licence. For example if I have a Video recorder but no TV I am still liable to buy a licence. So technically it is not a TV licence but more an "off air broadcast" licence which would include PCs anyway.

pj123 16:23 26 Mar 05

crx1600, from what I understand the TV is still capable of receiving transmissions off air and so a licence is required whether you watch them or not.

So how does the Enforcement Officer know that you are not going to watch a TV programme the day after he has visited you? I can't believe you can get away with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…