Computer power

zootmo 12:21 18 Aug 04

I saw a piece in today’s 18/8/04 Independent newspaper review section , the writers article was about a man called Peter Cochrane who was head of BTs R&D labs for thirty eight years. Now, interestingly for those of us who are keen computer users, this man Peter Cochrane is predicting an “explosion of smart machines” within the next thirty years.

Beyond 2020 he expects “devices at least one hundred billion times more powerful than today” with location awareness, cognition, and contextualisation, and the ability to continuously and automatically configure to a dynamic world.

If what this man is saying about the potential advancement of the computer and computer chips comes even halfway true, then computers will have absolutely astonishing power.

I’ve started saving for mine as from today, his web site is at
click here

Forum Editor 18:06 18 Aug 04

more powerful than today" might be true one day, but it will be a long time coming, and I don't think any of us need get too excited about it.

Dorsai 18:32 18 Aug 04

Is it just a coincedence that Cochrane is also the surname of the character from Star-Trek Who invented "warp" engines that let poeple travel at many millions of times the speed of light?

lol.

zootmo 20:13 18 Aug 04

I think Star-Trek like computing power is exactly what Cochrane envisages. His version of future computing power is describing a machine that will be equal to or superior to human intelligence.

We forget how far and how fast computers have progressed in a very short time, after all we have had a computer beat the best chess player in the world.

And that machine couldn't "think".

Dorsai 20:34 18 Aug 04

And only 200 years ago the best computer you could buy went by name 'abacus' and power was mesured in 'how may beads' you had.

Bandy 00:20 19 Aug 04

If the smart machines comein with the timescale you suggest I'll get my wife to buy me one for my 100th birthday - hopefully

zootmo 12:28 19 Aug 04

Shortly after the 200 year point of course came Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine,which is now recogised as a true computer.

slim 65 17:30 19 Aug 04

"Live long and prosper"

S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…