Computer Manufacturer Support

osben 13:20 17 Aug 04

Question:
What is it that precludes a computer from being supported by the manufacturer just because the operating system has been upgraded from ME (which was notoriously unstable anyway) to XP which is noted to be a better operating system.

It must be acknowledged that at some point of time an operating system is going to be upgraded on a computer. As to at some stage will drivers need to be updated etc. That’s progress. Will this particular manufacturer, I wonder, wash their hand of all their support when people upgrade XP with the latest SP2 update??

Why should a manufacturer be allowed to hide behind this fact to enable them to cease their responsibilities to the customer.

I loaded a programme that told me that in order to work properly, I should update my video driver. I contacted the “”Computer manufacturer”” in question for advise on the situation only to be told that they could not help because I had moved over to XP which was not what was supplied with the original order. I consider that to be a totally pathetic response.

Perhaps I am missing the point but in my view this is A Total Copout by the manufacturer and something that anyone buying a new system should be aware of.

By the way the manufacturer was Evesham.

cga 15:06 17 Aug 04

I think the issue here is that the drivers, while related to the hardware, are also specific to the OS.

If the monitor was generic then I would have expected them to be more helpful but the support should come from the supplier of your XP OS and the manufacturer of the hardware needing the drivers.

The really interesting thing is why you need drivers for XP. Apart from the very latest or esoteric hardware, most drivers should be included.

osben 15:14 17 Aug 04

Thanks for yor reply

As I said, the game that I loaded advised that I needed to upgrade the driver for the graphics card

I have a Nvidia GForce 2mx400 with software v 52.16 The latest version on Nvidia's site is V61.77 and that's all I asked Evesham was is this safe to do.

Doesn't seem to much does it?

Regards

rowdy 16:58 17 Aug 04

Your contract with the manufacturer does not include unlimited support for any changes to hardware or software that you wish to make now or in the future.

The support contracted for was for the machine and software as supplied and it is very unreal to think that manufacturers have the time or resources to indulge you in this way. This is not a computer only thing but any manufacturer of any item would not support you in willynilly modifications to their product.

If you wish advice either post in an appropiate forum or pay someone for their expertise in these matters.

rowdy

oresome 19:18 17 Aug 04

Osben,

I have scant knowledge of how help desks operate, but guess that they work from the premise that they manufactured a particular configuration, probably in quantity, and it is known to work correctly. Faults can then be diagnosed with some certainty.

Once this configuration is changed in anyway that differs from an actual production model, they cannot diagnose with certainty where a fault may lie. I would expect that if you did encounter problems after a change, the help desk would ask you to revert to the original spec. before offering any further assistance. After all, this would be the computer they sold you.

I used to work for a large organisation and our own IT support dept. operated under similar rules, i.e they would only support the configuration they supplied, so it's hardly suprising that a commercial concern should do likewise.

Forum Editor 01:00 18 Aug 04

should a manufacturer be expected to provide free advice about new video card drivers for an operating system other than the one which was on the machine when they supplied it?

Evesham are under no obligation whatosever to provide you with the advice you seek.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…