Companies "spying" on social network sites

bremner 10:44 07 Jun 10

BT, Carphone Warehouse and Easyjet to name three admit to monitoring social network sites to identify complaints and react to them.

Here click here it is branded spying.

Anyone who thinks the Internet is private needs a wakeup call. I do not see a great deal wrong with this, what about you?

HondaMan 10:50 07 Jun 10

The internet is a freely available resource for everyone. Freely in the sense that you do not have to "qualify" to use it by being a licensed user. If you post anything on the internet you should be aware that it can, and probably will, be seen by someone whom you do not want to see it. It's like Speakers Corner - a very public place.

Strawballs 10:51 07 Jun 10

Sounds like it does pay to complain to friends on social network sites about bad service, a one to one on the phone they don't care about because the loss of one customer is not as bad as loosing 30.

HondaMan 10:54 07 Jun 10

‘I did not expect what I was saying to my friends to be seen. I have since changed my privacy settings so only my friends can access my page. What happened was quite Big Brotherish and sinisterish"

One business not to use perhaps, if he is that naive!

Þ² 11:03 07 Jun 10

Nothing wrong with it. Companies need to learn and this a way to do it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:31 07 Jun 10

Sorry but anyone who even imagined that a PUBLIC, OPEN resource like the Internet would be private is truly dense.

G

ella33 13:17 07 Jun 10

I guess that so long as they don't decide to sue people who complain, after all we should have free speech. Some forums do have a members "room" but people don't seem to use them much. I don't know if the spies can get in those. With modern technology, probably, so there is not much point in them.

A few months ago, before hotmail saved to draft automatically, I opened a gmail account and sent an email saying to someone, that I liked gmail because it saved every few minutes and for some reason I was always losing my hotmails. It may be a co-incidence but when I answered a hotmail a few weeks later, it saved to draft auto. Believe me it had really NOT had this feature before because it used to drive me mad. Before someone says something, I am sure there were other reasons they made this adaptation, but there is evidence that they respond to (free)emails. Just look at the adverts changing while you type. I was discussing types of caravan with someone and lots of caravan adverts popped up. I knew someone who sent a mail to say he was diagnosed with lichen in the mouth, then ads with information about lichen popped up.

I feel sure it is not the case with BT email or attachments but there do seem to be a lot of scanners online. It can be quite amusing to watch.

ella33 13:22 07 Jun 10

As a matter of interest the adverts on facebook change with the comments written on the mainstream but I haven't noticed that happen in private messages. But I don't really use facebook that much.

bremner 14:31 07 Jun 10

If they decide to sue it will because the person has printed a libel.

There is no such thing as "free speech", you can not print a lie defaming someone and claim free speech as a defence.

ella33 15:19 07 Jun 10

I should hope not but it was more the general disagreements about the suitability of products that I was meaning. It happens all the time on forums and it might be taken that way? still I think the companies are intending to use scanning as feedback, which is useful to them. (and the consumer)

Pine Man 15:58 07 Jun 10

.. this is no different to hotels monitoring travel forums and responding to problems or even Davey W who monitors this forum to see if there are customer problems with Mesh Computers.

Come you paranoid doubters get a life it's actually customer service!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017