Compact Cameras

Quickbeam 08:57 AM 25 Apr 11

Remember the confusion over that term when the PCA poll covered them and we argued over what is a compact today?

Well it seems the camera industry is also not sure how to define the inbetweenies. Over on DPReview they're having a poll for the manufacturers that still haven't decided what to call them dpreview poll

peter99co 12:00 PM 25 Apr 11

Digital Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens.

DEVIL :o)

Aitchbee 21:56 PM 25 Apr 11

I'm not confused - I have a compact camera - it's a medion 85099 made in Germany - had it for five years - still works great.

SparkyJack 09:17 AM 26 Apr 11

I could guess and say that in manufacturers are struggling to name a product they are also struggling to wonder where to go next- to retain the sales momentum It is also time the reliance on the rear screen to find an image is phased out.

To my mind a total failure compared to the look through or SLR types.

An enterprising manufacturer could do worse thamnto take a 70 year step back and look at incorporating 'look through' view finders once more and as an addition a clip on version for those that would prefer them

see

http://tinyurl.com/66fwh2s

Quickbeam 10:35 AM 26 Apr 11

That's already being done SparkyJack

Fuji X100

Olympus VF2

SparkyJack 11:17 AM 26 Apr 11

Thanks for the links quickbeam I am aware of those you mentioned and indeed had the opportunity to examine the Olympus device whilst on a Cruise in 2009- It was being used by a cruise lecturer.

But as with all things essentially simple they seem to have been engineered into unnecessary complexity compared to the items in my link reviewed of 75 years ago. My first 'proper' camera was an Ensign Selfix 820 purchased by me in 1949 from Wallace Heaton in London, that had an Albada folding finder.

Now a simple 'clip on' one sold as an accessory would be a good idea would it not?

SparkyJack 11:21 AM 26 Apr 11

Ensign Selfix 820 with Albada Viewfinder

http://tinyurl.com/6bcnemz

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…