//some 3rd party need geo

Common courtesy - or not

Jackcoms 18:14 20 Oct 05

Am I the only one who increasingly finds that, if I ask a question which requires an answer in an e-mail, increasingly I do not get a response from people to my question or questions?

The perpetrators include friends, family and business acquaintances alike.

I'm afraid that I regard the practise as bad manners and a complete lack of common courtesy.

DieSse 18:23 20 Oct 05

Maybe part of it is in the way you ask?

Phrases like "requires an answer", and accusing family and friends of bad manners and lack of courtesy, might just be encouraging them not to bother.

Now I don't know you, and your emails may be models of good manners and politeness - but I have to say your post doesn't show that to me at least.

No offence intended, but make sure you ask nicely rather than "require an answer"

Jackcoms 18:40 20 Oct 05

Sorry??!!

"Phrases like "requires an answer", and accusing family and friends of bad manners and lack of courtesy" - do NOT not appear in my e-mails (which are ALWAYS "models of good manners").

I used those phrases in my post to illustrate my question - which, incidentally, you haven't answered.

Dan the Doctus 19:07 20 Oct 05

Whenever I email my mum for cooking advice she always replies immediately and helpfully.

DieSse 19:15 20 Oct 05

Well - to specifically answer your question - no I don't find that!

Dorsai 19:56 20 Oct 05

Are you sure that they are getting your email?

Perhaps the recipients of your mail are on an ISP that has branded your ISP as a source of SPAM.

As a result, your innocent personal messages are getting blocked?

Or Vice-Versa, and the replies are getting blocked.

There could be many reasons why you are not getting through to them, or they are not getting through to you...

Apart from the possibility that they are ignoring you.

Have you tried the old fashioned telephone, and spoken to them, to see if your message actually arrived, and if it did, did they reply?

Jackcoms 20:00 20 Oct 05

"Are you sure that they are getting your email?"

Yes - I use MSGTAG

shizzy 20:53 20 Oct 05

Mums always do whether offspring are 14 or 40.

octal 22:07 20 Oct 05

There are a variety of reasons why people don't respond even when you've asked a question, they are busy, they can't be bothered, they forget, its not important to them, they don't like you, who knows, I know its bad manners but I'm afraid its a fact of life.

I've given up worrying about that years ago and put it down to the way they were brought up, I normally always respond, even if its one word. Unfortunately its human nature we don't like being ignored when we ask a question, for instance, how many times have you posted in a thread and have been ignored? It happens to me plenty of times, do I care? Nope, I'm superior to them because I know my manners are better so I don't care, it makes me feel better by thinking that way with a smile on my face :-)

Simsy 22:14 20 Oct 05

But I don't worry about it... especially with email.

If I need a response and haven't had one, I ask again.

Better for the blood pressure that way!

Regards,

Simsy

wiz-king 22:21 20 Oct 05

I have just asked about 200 of our suppliers from work whether they have an email address I can use to place orders and over 10% said the don't like e-mail orders; one said that if we place an order by email we had to phone to tell the girl that the order was in her email box!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…