Coming to a council near you...

realist 22:26 30 Sep 07

Our local county council has just spent £1.4 million setting up it's own internet TV station, or rather is funding a certain pop celebrity to run it for them.

This is all cutting-edge stuff (as a way of wasting your council tax) so you can no doubt look forward to having your local council follow suit.

It's bound to catch on.

spuds 11:33 01 Oct 07

The amount of money or grants that our council provide to some 'much wanted' schemes is mind boggling. Pity they haven't put as much effort in domestic waste removal, and reducing rates for some town centre small shops.

Cymro. 11:45 01 Oct 07

Pity they haven't put as much effort and reducing rates for some town centre small shops.

You must be joking I can think of better things to reduce rates on other than town centre small shops.

spuds 12:02 01 Oct 07

In the case in question, our town area is becoming a ghost town with premises boarded up and closed or closing down posters everywhere. All due to large increases in rates over the past years. Some smaller shop's have also had to suffer from council grandeur pavement work,outside or near their business's, which virtually closed their business's down overnight.

Don't start me on council savings and the public servants/officers ideas of 'working for the people'. I have files full of correspondence that would read like an horror story.

Cymro. 12:13 01 Oct 07

So don`t you start me on small shops.

Small shops have had a good run for their money (or should I say our money) for years. The world is a changing place and the day of such shops is quickly coming to an end.

It is the out of town supermarkets that have done more to close down small town centre shops. Small shops have to pay rates just like every other business. What makes them so special anyway?

tullie 12:21 01 Oct 07

Im sorry,but i just donty think that you gave this any thought before posting those ridiculous remarks

Cymro. 12:30 01 Oct 07

You must be joking I can think of better things to reduce rates on other than town centre small shops.

It is the out of town supermarkets that have done more to close down small town centre shops.

Which of my remarks above do you not agree with then?

tullie 12:40 01 Oct 07

Agree regarding the Supermarkets,the rest i dont,but your entitled to your opinion,just as the many thousands of people employed in them are.

spuds 12:44 01 Oct 07

Out of town multinational stores do not cater for all commodities, hence stack them high attitude.

Some small premises shop keepers have survived on passing trade and word of mouth. Council's and perhaps people like yourself consider these 'trying to survive' establishments have no rights in modern society (whatever that is), and that's your opinion, mine is based on difference perhaps.

jtt 12:49 01 Oct 07

"It is the out of town supermarkets that have done more to close down small town centre shops"
True, but it seems reasonable to me that cutting their rates would help them to compete.

"Small shops have to pay rates just like every other business. What makes them so special anyway?"
Supermarkets have very strong buying power, so can get their goods much cheaper than small shops.

Cymro. 13:09 01 Oct 07

tullie
just as the many thousands of people employed in them are.
Do you mean employed in the small shops or in the supermarkets? because I know which one I would prefer to work for.

spuds
Out of town multinational stores do not cater for all commodities, hence stack them high attitude.
Stack them high also means sell them cheep and that is exactly why most shoppers go to such places rather than small town centre shops.

jtt
Supermarkets have very strong buying power, so can get their goods much cheaper than small shops.
Exactly my point, but supermarkets also have free parking among other advantages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos