Cold prevention.

spikeychris 18:22 16 Feb 07

For years I have been getting four or five colds a year, sometimes more, not only do I get/catch them but when they arrive they ground me for a while. I sneeze violently a couple of hundred times a day and I’m getting a tad fed up.

I know there isn’t a cure but I would really appreciate any prevention ideas. I take Vit C and Zinc daily.

(*sneeze – cough* thank you*)

Jackcoms 18:43 16 Feb 07

Stay indoors on your own 24/7, 365 days a year and don't go near another soul - that way you can't catch any germs.

Oh, and stock up on the whisky.

Seriously, though, I rather suspect it's something you'll have to live with. Have you had a chat with your GP?

VoG II 18:57 16 Feb 07
  alB 19:07 16 Feb 07

Cod or Halibut oil capsules daily, and at the slightest sniffle a good old hot toddy with whisky, honey and lemon in followed by a couple of paracetamols and an early night (almost makes me wish I was getting a cold now) ...alB

namtas 19:07 16 Feb 07

Your immune system may not be doing enough to protect you, I believe that regular excercise and a positive outlook can help. I am not a believer on a dosing on lots of. pills.click here

leo49 19:15 16 Feb 07

I eat plenty of garlic and onions and never get colds.Coincidence?

Bingalau 19:40 16 Feb 07

It sounds to me that your problem is more likely to be an allergy of some type. I'm no doctor but if you can spot a link to something such as an animal in the house, or just too much dust where you work or at home, you might be half way to solving the problem. As leo49 says garlic is supposed to be a cure all type of food. You can get non smelling garlic pearls now I believe. Good luck in your search for the root of the problem. ..Bingalau..

Totally-braindead 19:41 16 Feb 07

leo49 could it possibly be that because of the smell of the garlic and onions no one gets close enough to infect you?

jack 19:48 16 Feb 07

'As leo49 says garlic is supposed to be a cure all type of food. You can get non smelling garlic pearls now I believe. '

But its the smelly element that has the desired substance[aromatics] apart from making folk keep 15 metres back ;-)

Certainly overheated homes/workplaces and dust/animal dander are a major factors - try brisk early morning walks- deep breathing - and turn that heating down.

Jak_1 20:20 16 Feb 07

Colds (Coryza) are the result of a virus hence untreatable with antibiotics.
Mode of transmission: Airborne ie sneezes, coughs etc release millions of the virus into the atmosphere each time. Hardy little critters unlike HIV it can be picked up from surfaces etc. Most prevalent in warm moist atmosphere which is it's ideal multiplying habitat.
Source: Anywhere that groups of people congregate and air conditioning units.
Incubation: Usually 2 days.

The virus lies dormant in cold climates hence a rarity in places like Iceland. One reason why there is a low incidence of colds when we have freezing weather.
Usualy only causes a febrile non debilitating illness unlike it's cousin the flu virus which is a killer.

Best medication: Simple aspirin/paracetamol for any aches and slight temperature. Decongestants to help clear the airways.

Prevention: Short of living in outer space, very little you can do.

laurie53 20:29 16 Feb 07

Vit C seems to work for me, but at high dose level - 1 x 1000 mg a day. I've been clear for about 3 or 4 years.

Mind you, I'm also a grumpy old sod which keeps people at arm's lenght!

Laurie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now