climate change

tony58 19:23 22 Sep 06

climate change is just natural and there is nothing we can do about it, as it as all happend before .the ice age etc

rdave13 19:25 22 Sep 06

Agree.

lisa02 19:37 22 Sep 06

Yeah it's natural, I think.

But I also think we are speeding it along and what will the outcome be?

freaky 20:06 22 Sep 06

When you consider that centuries ago you could grow grapes in the UK, then the weather must have been much better then.

It's about time we had warmer/sunnier summers and milder winters like parts of southern Europe.

I think global warming has probably speeded up this rate of change, but as far as I am concerned it's OK with me.....lower heating bills etc.

Jackcoms 20:37 22 Sep 06

"When you consider that centuries ago you could grow grapes in the UK"

Er, grapes are still grown in the UK today, particularly in the South East. We also have vineyards and a wine-making industry.

STREETWORK 21:33 22 Sep 06

I went to South Georgia 21 years ago and again in 2003. The difference was astounding. What glaciers????

Off to watch that film now...

gudgulf 01:38 23 Sep 06

It certainly looks like the climate is changing.

Now whether it is entirely natural,entirely caused by human activity,or being accelerated by human activity is not really relevant.....the fact is we as a species are going to have to deal with it.

The danger as I see it is that we may be switching to an entirely different climatic regime,with no idea exactly how it will affect us,or how quickly.......most of the debate seems to be about how to "stabilise" things at a level we can cope with,rather than admitting we might just have tipped the balance too far already!

As for lower fuel bills if the UK warms up......you might find any savings wiped out due to steep rises in insurance costs to cover storm and flood damage.

GRFT 07:38 23 Sep 06

As for lower fuel bills if the UK warms up......
The opposite is likely to be the case if the Polar and Greenland ice caps continue to melt. The Gulf Stream will then be pushed further south and NW Europe will then enjoy a climate somewhat similar to that of Labrador's (Which is on the same latitude.)

There is evidence that this is beggining to happen.

GRFT 07:39 23 Sep 06

Beginning, of course.

Forum Editor 07:45 23 Sep 06

Have occurred many times in the past, and will no doubt do the same in the future. Grapes are certainly grown in the UK now but in the past - during the Roman occupation for instance they were grown in far larger quantities.

There's no doubt that we've made a contribution to the current changes, and there's no doubt that we could do something to reduce the impact we have on the planet's natural cycles. Whether we will take action is another matter altogether - it's a tad difficult to tell a developing nation that it must reduce its consumption of fossil fuels and must introduce sophisticated anti-pollution controls.

Try telling that to the Chinese government, and see how far you get.

Kate A 11:26 23 Sep 06

Perhaps it's just me, but no-one around here (with a few exceptions) seems willing to face up to the fact (yes, it is a fact) that our actions are having disastrous consequences for the world's population - and that WE COULD ALL DO SOMETHING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Excuse me, was I shouting?

So, the following excerpts are taken from The Royal Society's 'Guide to Facts and Fictions about Climate Change'.
In case you don't know, The Royal Society is one of the world's most respected academies of science - it's had some very well-known members over the years - here are a few:
Christopher Wren, Robert Boyle (of Boyle's Law fame), Robert Hooke (Hooke's Law of Elasticity), Isaac Newton (most of you will be aware of Newton's Laws) have all been heavily involved with the Royal Society in the past.

Now I don’t see anyone around here claiming that, actually, P1V1 = P2V2 these days or, hang on there, Hooke’s Law doesn’t seem to apply to linear-elastic materials any longer, and as for Newton? For each action where force is applied there’s an equal and opposite reaction? Get out of here you crazy fool!

So pay attention, these people actually know what they’re talking about:
In 2001, the United States National Academy of Sciences was commissioned by the Bush administration to assess the current understanding of global climate change. Its report, published in June 2001, stated: “The conclusion that most of the observed warming of the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations accurately reflects the current thinking of the scientific community on this issue.”
So current scientific thinking is that the observed global warming over the past 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations. With me so far?
The journal Science in 2004, published the results of a survey of 928 papers on climate change published between 1993 and 2003. Three-quarters of the papers accepted the view that human activities have had a major impact on climate change in the last 50 years, and none rejected it.
Some imagine that climate change will bring benefits to the UK, such as “better wine-producing conditions”, they do not appear to take into account the significant problems that we will face through an increase in the likelihood of flooding in some areas, a reduction in the availability of fresh water in others, and more threats to sea defences due to sea level rise in many low-lying areas, as acknowledged in the UK Government’s Energy White Paper in 2003. The focus on the UK also ignores the misery and suffering that will increase for the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people. The impacts of climate change will fall disproportionately upon developing countries and the poor persons within all countries, and thereby exacerbate inequities in health status and access to adequate food, clean water, and other resources.”

I think I’ve said enough, please download the following PDF from The Royal Society, or at least educate yourselves about the consequences of global warming, climate change – it doesn’t matter what you call it, we all have to do something to help reduce its impact.

click here

There is no sense in saying “Try telling that [it must reduce its consumption of fossil fuels and introduce sophisticated anti-pollution controls] to the Chinese government, and see how far you get.
Forum Editor – I’m disappointed in you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now