Classifiaction Systems: Information Tracking

DocP 11:47 14 Jan 05

For years I've been thinking about how best to clasisfy information. We now have incredibly large and cheap storage systems on PCs, and it's cheaper and less bother to save material than to spend time deciding whether or not to keep it.

But how do we find it? I know it's possible to keep track of anything using indexing, but that usually requires we know with some precision what we are looking for - and general enquiries generate masses of "hits" which need examining one by one.

The branching tree of a directory structure is an excellent starting point - but how do we decide on the naming of branches?

Has anyone come up with a suitable tree structure for - let's say - domestic use?. I am interested, for instance, in Arts, Sciences, History, Computing, Music, Medicine, Cars and dozens of other things - many of which would overlap general categories.

I've looked at examples from Amazon, eBay, the Dewey Decimal library classification and several others, but am not satisfied they offer a way forward. Any ideas?

Philip Ramage

recap 16:28 14 Jan 05

Maybe a Relational Database could be the way, with the headings you have already suggested as the names of your tables?

octal 16:49 14 Jan 05

What I tend to do at work is to make up an HTML index in each folder. This keeps the folder tree very simple. If I'm looking for a file I open the HTML file in the folder in the Internet bowser which has all the files listed and a description of them. Once I've found the file I won't I click on the hyperlink which either opens the particular file and runs it, or takes me to the sub folder if there is one.

I find it works quite well and keeps the file structure simple.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…