The Classics Compressed

riiverstock 23:15 15 Apr 07

I was aware of a new trend by many publishing houses to compress the size of many of the world's loved classic books.
In reality this results in much of the dull bits being removed from print to form a snappier version.

Will as many readers be for as against it?

And then I came across this form of classic's compression click here

Will a good one line summary eventually be accepted?

Forum Editor 23:28 15 Apr 07

The 'dull bits' form part of the original work, and if people are too bone idle to bother reading the whole book it might be best to stick to something less taxing.

It seems that nothing is safe from the lust for instant gratification.

robgf 02:28 16 Apr 07

A book is more than just the plot, what about the atmosphere and imagination, that makes a well written book more absorbing than the best film.

IMOP it's also very disrespectful to the author, to cherry pick from his work.

€dstowe 08:01 16 Apr 07

The response from FE sums up my view and needs no further comment.

g0slp 10:14 16 Apr 07

Well put, FE.

Readers' Digest 'Condensed Books' have been about for years, so this trend is hardly new, btw.

wee eddie 11:23 16 Apr 07

There was a range of Comics, versions of the Classics of Literature, Dickens, Dumas, Verne and many others. I can remember reading Lorna Doone and a couple of years later thinking that it had sounded interesting, so I read the book.

dagbladet 11:34 16 Apr 07

Prior to an enforced spell of sandy camping, I picked up 8 Readers Digest books at a boot sale for £4 (total). Each book contained 4 abridged versions generally consisting of 1 thriller, 1 funny, 1 lurve, 1 horror or similar. These books were ideal when leisure time was at a premium and ones concentration was often distracted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…