Christmas puddings

Quickbeam 09:39 02 Dec 09

Has the price of walnuts gone through the roof this year?

I ask as I notice that all of the Morrisons puddings have no walnuts in them this year, and to me the most distinctive flavour of a good Christmas pudding is from the walnuts.

No need to panic though, the Co-op do a fully matured one to my taste.

Hercule Marple 10:04 02 Dec 09

Hmmm, i used to love chomping my way through a good christmas pudding. Now I'm too aware of the massive amout of sugar they put in them. A typical one is between 45 and 55% sugar. Too much rot! I'll stick with me usual 30% sugar M & S spotted dicks.

donki 10:06 02 Dec 09

I haven't noticed a price change in any nuts (I love them) in a good few months. Talking of puddings I made a lovely sticky toffee pudding at the weekend. It had walnuts, sultanas, chopped dates, raisens and a little added mixed spice. Went down a treat and gives it a christmasy feeling, just an idea.

mr simon 10:12 02 Dec 09

No walnuts and they are better because of it. My local corner shop has some good ones on offer too.

And I'm sure I saw some discounted tinned tomatoes lurking in the corner.

jack 10:20 02 Dec 09

Even LIDL and ALDI which is best?
I would not know - because I make ours- then I can have the ingredients I want inthem
Made esarly November - No steaming for hours simply 8 minutes in a 1000 watt microwave - and left to mature then half an hours steam on the day.

Yum!

abbott8 10:35 02 Dec 09

saw Delia Smiths Christmas program on the TV last night, just watching made me drool, unfortunately I couldn't hear it over the the sound of my arteries creaking just at the sight of such rich food. As for my stomach ulcer, well thats a whole other story.

Kevscar1 11:16 02 Dec 09

Going to have a change this year. Profiterols with cofffee ice cream and baileys poured over the top.

donki 12:24 02 Dec 09

I get my nuts in my local greengrocer and he sells in weights, I must ask him if prices have become alot higher. It might be a case of me just handing out the cash and not realising.

Toneman 18:42 02 Dec 09

For those who watched Delia, brought back memories here of the house full of steam when boiling them for up to 8 hours in the old wash boiler. Now much easier to buy...

Toneman 18:47 02 Dec 09

Recipe?

cruiser2 18:57 02 Dec 09

Any one remember when there were silver sixpences in the home made Christmas puddings?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…