chip and pin

WhiteTruckMan 19:23 PM 01 Mar 06

Since we have all had to use our pin numbers with our cards now I have noticed something that has given me pause for thought. I stick my card in the machine and when prompted (after a quick look to check that no-one is looking over my shoulder)enter my pin, followed by the enter button. This is is always followed immediately by some confirmation that it is the correct number. then there is a pause while (seemingly) the card is validated. This makes me wonder if my pin is actually stored in some way on the card itself, being accessed so quickly. makes me wonder just how secure it is. especially as I can go to the card paying fast lane at my local supermarket forecourt and get petrol just by inserting my card, without even entering a pin on the pump.

WTM

namtas 20:05 PM 01 Mar 06

All that means is that your forecourt service is at present open and not calling for the pin validation.

ie using the system as was.

At the moment their are still some outlets that have not gone over to pin only.

Forum Editor 20:49 PM 01 Mar 06

When you insert the card the authorisation server checks which card it is, and retrieves your PIN from the card issuer's secure database. Then it tells you to enter the PIN - immediately you enter a correct number the terminal confirms it's correct, and the server authorises your payment, records it against your account, and away you go.

DrScott 00:32 AM 02 Mar 06

The one thing I worry about C&P is when using the wireless validators. I'm sure some hacker can work out how to intercept the transaction as it flies from the handheld device to the base-station - whether they can decrypt the info though is another thing.

Still, don't feel too comfortable about it

Forum Editor 00:48 AM 02 Mar 06

I share your concern, on the basis that if a thing can be done it will be done. Having said that, I find myself increasingly using the wireless terminals in restaurants, albeit with a degree of disquiet.

€dstowe 06:43 AM 02 Mar 06

Wireless validators are considerably safer than the older system of giving your card up to heaven-knows-who to take away for processing on a non-portable machine.

Worst of all, though, were (are?) those places (I would hesitate to call them restaurants) that want to take your card away from you as soon as you arrive for "security reasons" - purportedly to be in case you run off without paying.

jack 08:40 AM 02 Mar 06

This is interesting thread - and I certainly wondered how it all worked.
What happens then, with the trolley packed and brimming over - and the system goes down, the card is not validated?

Eric's comment 'Worst of all, though, were (are?) those places (I would hesitate to call them restaurants) that want to take your card away from you as soon as you arrive for "security reasons" - purportedly to be in case you run off without paying.'
Well we don't eat out much [ and only at the local Harvester or Campenile when we do]so I have not come across this, practice- but if I do - I shall tell em to 'op off' and take my custom else where

SG Atlantis® 09:18 AM 02 Mar 06

As it stands there are shops that don't have the chip and pin facility, they can still take credit cards by signature...?

Interstingly, I had an American girl at the tills in my shop, her Visa had her photograph on it. Has that ever been attempted here in the UK? seems a good security practice.

dmc727 10:25 AM 02 Mar 06

Crikey so many points. ………

Credit card containing photo. Yep had one for a few years – now discontinued – it was issued by Liverpool Victoria. No one ever seemed to look at it. I’m a member of Costco and upon joining they issue you a plastic credit card size membership card containing your photo - a process that only takes minutes. But there again Costco are American.

Card security. Only once been caught out with a credit card. A couple of years ago received a phone call from the card people to ask if I was purchasing a bucket load of mobile phone vouchers. My reply - no not me. The only place I could link it to was a fast food place where I’d taken some of the grand kids and they’d taken my card from the table. It didn’t cost me for the fraud and I heard no more of it.

Food establishments. Suppose they get funny customers so they have to have funny procedures. Some snooty places ask for your card details before they’ll accept a booking.
I’ve even had money taken from the card at the time of booking.

Wireless validators. Much prefer this system than the old one of having your card taken away. My view is that the card issuers provide the means of how you pay so if you comply they pick up any loss if it goes wrong.

You, as a customer, are only liable for dodgy payments if you are dishonest.

If you act without reasonable care then you may have to pay – i.e. discretional.

And it is for the Card Issuer to show that you were dishonest or acted without reasonable care.

€dstowe 10:38 AM 02 Mar 06

"As it stands there are shops that don't have the chip and pin facility, they can still take credit cards by signature...?"

True, but now the shop is totally responsible for any fraudulent activity which may occur.

"Some snooty places ask for your card details before they’ll accept a booking."

I know several - I won't give them the pleasure of my custom.

€dstowe 10:46 AM 02 Mar 06

Just remembered this.

A few years ago I went into an upmarket shirt makers near Jermyn Street and tried to buy three shirts. They were duly boxed and placed in the "designer" carrier bag and I was asked how I would like to pay. I handed over my credit card. There was a look of horror on the shop assistant's face who then said:

"I'm sorry sir, if you are unable to pay by cash or account, you are unable to afford this purchase."

He then turned away, unpacked the bag and put the shirts back on the shelf. I was too astonished to react in any other way than leave.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple TV 'launching in September' plus patent filed for…