China finally does it!

LastChip 18:14 15 Nov 10

It was only a matter of time before China built the fastest computer in the world and that time has come.

Using an amazing 186368 cores and 229376 GB of memory, it manages a phenomenal 2.57 petaflop/s (quadrillions of calculations per second).

Of further interest, it is reported they are using Nvidia GPU's to accelerate the performance.

Of the top twenty-five machines, all use the Linux operating system. A few of them use CNK/SLES 9 which as I understand it, is a Linux derivative. I don't have the time to check the remaining 475!

The UK comes in at a respectable 25th, but clearly way off the leading nations. It's only contender in the top 50, is based at Edinburgh University, a Cray XT6 machine, also running Linux.

click here for a list of the fastest 500 computers in the world.

Forum Editor 18:20 15 Nov 10

right now is 'cooling'.

click here

johndrew 20:12 15 Nov 10

Just think what Chinese Spammers/Hackers/virus spreaders could do with a tool like that.

Not so long since PCA was on the receiving end of 'standard' PC output and that caused a bit of bother as I remember.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…