Chim chiminey

Quickbeam 09:28 17 Sep 10

Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be... etc

click here Just a bit of light news amounst this weeks doom & gloom...:)

Quickbeam 09:31 17 Sep 10

Or even amongst.

gengiscant 09:45 17 Sep 10

Lets hope they bring back the use of shoving children up chimneys. Keep the little buggers off the streets during school holidays.LOL

interzone55 10:16 17 Sep 10

"Thanks to soaring gas prices, sales of wood-burning and multi-fuel stoves rose 40% in 2008 as homeowners reduce to cut their bills."

Anyone else notice that the BBC and many other sites rarely proof-read their stories before publication...

dagbladet 13:44 17 Sep 10

I noticed but didn't think it was worth mentioning.

interzone55 14:51 17 Sep 10

It is worth mentioning because it doesn't give a very good impression.

I had to read the paragraph twice because of the error, which ruined the flow of the story.

I also notice it in many books as well, do publishers not employ proof readers any more, or are the current crop of proof readers not up to the job?

Pineman100 16:31 17 Sep 10

The soaring popularity of wood-burning stoves is apparently due to the widely-publicised environmental benefits of burning wood, which is said to be carbon-neutral.

We live in East Anglia, near the coast. Our local log supplier is about 300 yards down the road from us. Very worthy, you might think - not many "log-miles" involved there!

*But*! The demand for firewood has grown so rapidly in the past three years that our log supplier can't get enough wood locally. So he has to buy in more from foresters...

...in Wales.

Thereby adding some 250 diesel-fuelled log-miles to the journey from the tree to my woodburning stove.

Ho hum.

interzone55 17:19 17 Sep 10

The beauty of a log burning stove is that you can burn anything, so if you get desperate you can always pop down to Ikea and buy a couple of cheap bookcases...

Bingalau 21:59 17 Sep 10

Maybe the publishing industry now uses a "Spell Checker" instead of a well trained and experienced proof reader.

jakimo 14:28 18 Sep 10

Does anyone remember when having a chimney sweep (brush included) at a wedding would bring the bride and groom good luck?

Pineman100 18:51 18 Sep 10

I'd have a problem with that, given that he cheapest Ikea flat-pack bookcase would still be much better quality than most of the old tat in this house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now