Childrens' Fears

laurie53 08:40 20 Apr 09

"Getting stabbed or shot was the biggest fear for 14% of nine to 12-year-olds."

click here

I find that so sad.

Rose tinted spectacles notwithstanding, my biggest fear at that age was whether I would be late for school and whether there would be enough rice pudding left for a second helping.

dagnammit 09:38 20 Apr 09

Probably the smoking, other cancer and drink driving adverts that are on daily.

Forum Editor 18:01 20 Apr 09

75% said they thought their childhood was better than the childhood experienced by their parents.

Legolas 18:16 20 Apr 09

My biggest fear at that age was the knock of the Bobby at my door after I got rumbled... ahem... acquiring apples from the local "big houses"

Forum Editor 18:44 20 Apr 09

It used to be obligatory, didn't it?

I broke the all-England high jump record one night when aged about 14 I went into a Surrey orchard with some friends. We were happily stuffing ripe apples into our shirts when the farmer came running through the dark, yelling at the top of his voice. That was the night I learned just what a powerful effect adrenalin can have - I cleared a six-foot fence with hardly a touch.

Legolas 18:59 20 Apr 09

My lack of height was my undoing I attempted a rather large privet hedge when the inhabitants of the house rumbled us. I failed miserably to get over it and was collared by the householder, I was then delivered home by the Police. I shall draw a veil over the rest.

Jim Thing 19:02 20 Apr 09

"75% said they thought their childhood was better than the childhood experienced by their parents."

How could they possibly know?

dagnammit 23:11 20 Apr 09

LOL. The same words are said through the generations:

"In my day"
"when I was your age"
"they didn't have that when I was a child"
"Be grateful, I was lucky to get 50p (or any other small denomination, low value item) and your moaning about getting that!"

are all the ones I've used so far on my children that my parents once said to me.

Forum Editor 23:17 20 Apr 09

Nobody claims that they know. As the survey said - they thought it. No doubt they based their opinions on what they have heard their parents say.

laurie53 08:29 21 Apr 09

"It used to be obligatory, didn't it?"

I thought my childhood was a bit deprived, with rationing and all, but I thank God it was never considered`obligatory to steal.

Legolas 08:56 21 Apr 09

Lighten up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now