Cheques will be phased out by 2018

TopCat® 18:23 16 Dec 09

"but only if adequate alternatives are developed..." according to click here

Not surprisingly, many older people and others will be dismayed to hear that the end of cheque use is a possibility, especially those most reluctant or unable to make use of modern electronic payment methods.

The banks say it is costing too much to service cheques as their use falls away more and more each year. I just wonder if they also see this as another way of getting rid of the staff that deal with them.

Do you still use cheques these days? TC.

John B 18:31 16 Dec 09

for example at my Chinese takeaway who only accept cash or cheques. I often don't have the cash handy!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:34 16 Dec 09

Not used one for more than 5 years, destroyed chequebook a few years ago. Old fashioned and so twentieth century.

G

Woolwell 18:37 16 Dec 09

Many charities rely on cheques for donations and pay their bills by cheque which usually require 2 signatures. This could have a major impact on charities.

Woolwell 18:41 16 Dec 09

Should have added that I have yet to meet a plumber or small builder that has a credit card reader.

John B 18:44 16 Dec 09

I just bought some bank shares (fool?); which could only be purchased with a cheque!!

karmgord 20:09 16 Dec 09

I send cheques in birthday cards as cash is unsafe.

TopCat® 20:09 16 Dec 09

Woolwell has hit on a point which was raised quite a few times by objectors on my local radio station today, when they discussed this subject in detail.

Many of the elderly respondents here in Cornwall felt they were quite happy with the status quo, and were adamant they had no inclination to learn about or use 'the plastic' methods of paying their bills. As Woolwell states: "I have yet to meet a plumber or small builder that has a credit reader." was frequently mentioned on air by the caller. TC.

polish 20:44 16 Dec 09

i dont see cheques as a problem or old fashioned when purchasing from suppliers because iam mobile and they come to me it is the easiest way to pay so i dont have to carry alot of money with me

peter99co 20:47 16 Dec 09

Is there an alternative to a cheque?

Any replacement would still have to be a worthless piece of paper until validated by the owner to create a valued item.

It's just not on.

What's the rush anyway.

1.4 billion cheques written last year so still a popular way of paying a bill.

Grey Goo 13:42 17 Dec 09

HBoS should have cleared my last transaction by then - possibly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…