peter99co 12 Jul 11
Answered

BBC News

Common sense prevails?

Flak999 12 Jul 11
Answer

Pipped me to the post!

peter99co 12 Jul 11

I was slow spelling Cheques as well but it is a sensible decision they have made. I could not think of a cheap alternative.

Forum Editor 12 Jul 11

"Common sense prevails?"

See fourm member's 5:25pm post for the true explanation.

gengiscant 12 Jul 11

I cannot remember when I last had a cheque book let alone used one, nothing more than a nuisance, if I get one its means I have to toddle off to a bank and still wait days for it to clear.

wiz-king 12 Jul 11

As a business dealing with a mixture of customers - some who just order a couple of pounds worth of stuff once a year, some shops who order a hundred pounds worth a month and agents who order thousand of pounds worth, we still bank cheques every day. We also pay a lot of small bills by cheque for goods we purchase, we also use BACS and internet banking. many of our smaller customer have no other way of paying us - we even get a few who send us chash in the post.

Flak999 12 Jul 11

Does this now mean that the clearing banks decision to scrap the cheque guarantee scheme was premature?

carver 12 Jul 11

We still do a lot of business with cheques, people want paying and a cheque is a very good form of proof that you have payed, if we owe a farmer for 5 bales of hay he normally doesn't have a card machine on him.

Forum Editor 12 Jul 11

"if we owe a farmer for 5 bales of hay he normally doesn't have a card machine on him."

He probably wouldn't accept a cheque, either.

carver 13 Jul 11

F.E we pay for 2 by cheque and 3 by cash, still can't figure out why we have to do it that way.

morddwyd 13 Jul 11

"we pay for 2 by cheque and 3 by cash"

So why don't you pay them all by cash?

They can't refuse legal tender, as they can a cheque, and if you have that much cash to hand anyway a bit more surely won't make that much difference?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message