peter99co 16:53 PM 12 Jul 11
Answered

BBC News

Common sense prevails?

Flak999 16:55 PM 12 Jul 11
Answer

Pipped me to the post!

peter99co 16:58 PM 12 Jul 11

I was slow spelling Cheques as well but it is a sensible decision they have made. I could not think of a cheap alternative.

Forum Editor 17:36 PM 12 Jul 11

"Common sense prevails?"

See fourm member's 5:25pm post for the true explanation.

gengiscant 17:44 PM 12 Jul 11

I cannot remember when I last had a cheque book let alone used one, nothing more than a nuisance, if I get one its means I have to toddle off to a bank and still wait days for it to clear.

wiz-king 18:02 PM 12 Jul 11

As a business dealing with a mixture of customers - some who just order a couple of pounds worth of stuff once a year, some shops who order a hundred pounds worth a month and agents who order thousand of pounds worth, we still bank cheques every day. We also pay a lot of small bills by cheque for goods we purchase, we also use BACS and internet banking. many of our smaller customer have no other way of paying us - we even get a few who send us chash in the post.

Flak999 18:04 PM 12 Jul 11

Does this now mean that the clearing banks decision to scrap the cheque guarantee scheme was premature?

carver 21:58 PM 12 Jul 11

We still do a lot of business with cheques, people want paying and a cheque is a very good form of proof that you have payed, if we owe a farmer for 5 bales of hay he normally doesn't have a card machine on him.

Forum Editor 22:43 PM 12 Jul 11

"if we owe a farmer for 5 bales of hay he normally doesn't have a card machine on him."

He probably wouldn't accept a cheque, either.

carver 07:58 AM 13 Jul 11

F.E we pay for 2 by cheque and 3 by cash, still can't figure out why we have to do it that way.

morddwyd 09:00 AM 13 Jul 11

"we pay for 2 by cheque and 3 by cash"

So why don't you pay them all by cash?

They can't refuse legal tender, as they can a cheque, and if you have that much cash to hand anyway a bit more surely won't make that much difference?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay