Cheque Usage

laurie53 10:37 18 Oct 07

Like most people I use cheques less and less, but I was surprised to see that my cheque book is two years old this month.

It's standard book of twenty five cheques, and I've still got ten to go!

dagbladet 10:38 18 Oct 07

I've not used a cheque for about 5 years, maybe more.

Quickbeam 10:39 18 Oct 07

I changed banks this year & didn't even bother to have the cheque book option, nobody seems to want them anymore.

lisa02 10:40 18 Oct 07

Most shops have signs up saying they no longer take cheques.

spuds 11:23 18 Oct 07

I still prefer to use cheques on occasions with certain transaction, so that I have an extra record that transaction took place.

Bit like when I return books to my local library. The people there often advice me to telephone in if I intend keeping the book(s) out after renewal date.They can keep the update on the computer. I always suggest that a date stamp in the book would be evidence, should they require extra payments because the book(s) are supposed overdue ( because someone forgot!).

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:32 18 Oct 07

At least 5 years since I have written a cheque, 3+ years since I walked into a bank and a similar time for using a Post Office.

G

paul€ 11:37 18 Oct 07

We use ours a lot.

Two seperate ones, each month for travel. Then the schools want cheques for trips both at home and abroad, music lessons, donations for equipment the list goes on as does the cheques:(

ventanas 11:46 18 Oct 07

Still use them all the time, old fashioned I suppose. I have never used a cash machine, always cash a cheque in the bank.

But do use a debit card now for most purchases, and credit card online.

But at work we go through at least 50 cheques a day.

dagbladet 11:59 18 Oct 07

paul€

Good point about the schools, maybe the missus uses them a lot for that kind of stuff, not my department guv'nor.

ventanas

Re cash machines. I remember excitedly queuing up at the Bromley branch of Lloyds to use the cash machine for the first time. There was a little green pamphlet next to the machine that listed all the available cash machines that the card could be used in. I'm pretty sure that I could only use Lloyds machines for a year or so. I think there were about 30-40 across the country.

Confab 12:15 18 Oct 07

I have three boys at school and I’m forever writing cheques for some event or other. Their music teachers also prefer to be paid by cheque and so do their cub/scout groups. Quite a few small organisations prefer using cheques as well especially if their bank mandate requires two or more signatures for authorisation. I guess we haven’t see the last of cheques just yet.

Quickbeam 12:38 18 Oct 07

"I always suggest that a date stamp in the book would be evidence, should they require extra payments because the book(s) are supposed overdue ( because someone forgot!)."

Is the late return penalty at your library a summons before Judge Jeffries...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5